AnsweredAssumed Answered

Power Supply for Semiconductor

Question asked by SOLT_guy on Feb 8, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 by SOLT_guy
Dear Sir:

I am considering purchasing a new or refurbished power supply.   I would like to purchase a power supply designed for semiconductor testing (BJTs, FETs, etc.) which is programmable.  I used to own a HP 8717B which was designed for semiconductor testing until it finally died.   The 8717B had a current supply and voltage supply.   The current supply had a meter which could make very fine current measurements.  This is a requirement for the next power supply I purchase.

My min voltage is 7V and 1 Ampere (at least).  

I am not looking to purchase anything extravagant.  I am looking for something simple and dependable.  I am sticking with HP because they supply service manuals which I find useful.  

Could you tell me what Agilent has available in terms of low priced power supplies?  Please tell me also the older model power supply families that can do the job, I may buy a refurbished model. 

Also, I would like to know what would happen if I bought a dual voltage supply and used it to test a BJT?    Would I short the base of my  BJT?    My old power supply had an independent mode but to test it for BJT testing required bias transistors.  I never tried to test a transistor without bias transistors but I am curious about what would happen if a dual voltage supply was used to test a transistor.   Please reply and tell me the drawbacks of using a dual voltage supply to test a transistor.

Thank you for your consideration.  

Outcomes