AnsweredAssumed Answered

U1271A resistance measurement issues

Question asked by scidude on Jun 6, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 by KiriakosGR
I've recently updated my bench with a host of new Agilent equipment.  So far, I'm enjoying myself but I have one oddity with the resistance setting on my new U1271A.  If I short the leads in "Auto" mode, I'll measure roughly .15 ohms.  Normal and expected behaviour.  The interesting thing happens when I press the "Range" button.  As I press the range button repeatedly to change ranges, I seem to retain a digit or two, meaning on the lowest range I'll see a reading of .15 ohms but with the leads short, I'll get a reading of "0.006" on the 3k range and "0.0002" on the 3 meg range.  That means a short reads 200 ohms on the 3 meg range.  I brought the unit to the dealer and we all scratched our heads at this behaviour.  We then got the dealer's U1273A out of the show case and observed a similar behaviour.  Are we missing something?  Perhaps a certain setting cause this unexpected behaviour?  Perhaps it requires a firmware update? Any advice would help as this behaviour causes me to tend to dought my readings when using this meter.  Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.  

Outcomes