AnsweredAssumed Answered

Semi inaccurate information on FieldFox docs about connecting to a PC

Question asked by drkirkby on Nov 19, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 by Tim
http://na.tm.agilent.com/fieldfox/help/DataLinkHelp/Directly_Connect_FieldFox_to_PC.htm

tells you how to connect a FieldFox to a PC using an ethernet cable. It says 

*On the PC*
*Note: The PC can NOT be connected to wireless LAN*

That's not really true. I can understand Agilent saying don't have the PC on a wireless LAN, as there is the potential for getting IP address clashes. But if you know what you are doing, it is certainly possible to have a PC connected to both the FieldFox and a wireless LAN - I used to do it with my FieldFox. 

The trick is to not use the 192.168.0.1  IP address suggested on that web page. That has a very high probability of clashing with a typical wireless LAN, as just about any router I've seen will use 192.168.x,y, where x is is 0, 1 or 2.  But if the docs were changed to suggest an IP address of of 192.168.x.1, where x is above about 5, the chances of it clashing wth a wireless LAN is close to zero. 

Hence it might be worth 

* Suggesting an obsure  IP address (e.g. 192.168.56.1) which is unlikely to clash with a wireless LAN, 
* Tell people to *not* to have a wireless LAN connected at least when setting up for the first time.  
* Tell people they *might* be able to get it working with a wireless LAN. 

As long as the Fieldfox and wireless LAN are on a different subnet, getting them working together is easy. 

Certainly I had no problems with this. My laptop could be connected to my wireless LAN and the FieldFox at the same time. All I needed to do was pick a more sensible IP address. If the 'x' above is 0, 1 or 2, then its likely to clash, but but much higher numbers, it is very unlikely to clash, and people can get both working together. 

Just my 2p

Dave.  

Outcomes