AnsweredAssumed Answered

VISA COM and 54645A scope + 54657A GPIB module

Question asked by AdamL. on Dec 18, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 by AdamL.
I've had great success using VISA COM to get screenshots from modern Agilent scopes (DSO5000/6000, DSO-X) from within Excel / VBA, since for a long time the Agilent-provided Intuilink Toolbar for Excel has had issues (issues with Excel 2010, issues with 64-bit Windows 7, etc.) 

I'm now trying to use VISA COM to get a screenshot from an old beastie - the 54645A scope with the 54657A GPIB / storage module.

There is some Intuilink software which works, from which I derived the GPIB command needed to get the screenshot: ":PRINT?" 

I'm trying to use the same strategy I used with the modern scopes: set up VISA COM and FormattedIO488 and use ReadIEEEBlock to get the screenshot data after the command is sent.

I'm using the IO libraries version 16.3 (as well as NI 488.2 3.1).

Dim Data_Byte() As Byte

Set MyVISAIOMgr = New VisaComLib.ResourceManager
    Set MyVISAInstrument = New VisaComLib.FormattedIO488  
    Set MyVISAInstrument.IO = MyVISAIOMgr.Open("HPScope")
    MyVISAInstrument.IO.TerminationCharacterEnabled = False
    MyVISAInstrument.WriteString ":PRINT?"
    Data_Byte = MyVISAInstrument.ReadIEEEBlock(BinaryType_UI1)
    MyVISAInstrument.IO.Close

The ReadIEEEBlock call is failing, with a cryptic error message:

VisaComError:
    MsgBox "VISA COM Error:" + vbCrLf + Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "GrabPic() error"
End Sub

"VISA COM Error: The requested resource address was of a resource type not supported by this implementation of VISA COM I/O"

I've been searching high and low to try and find out what this error means, but haven't found anything at all.

It doesn't appear to be related to the binary type in the call - all of the available choices fail.

As I said eariler, the call works fine with modern scopes (DSO5000/6000, DSO-X).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this work?

Edited by: Adam L. on Dec 18, 2012 7:38 AM  

Outcomes