AnsweredAssumed Answered

E4419B Communication Issues

Question asked by rf_engineer_5 on Jun 13, 2007
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2007 by rf_engineer_5
Since there was no forum specifically for communicating with power meters, I am putting these questions here and see what happens. I have two things that I would like to know more about concerning "talking" with a E4419B power meter.  Keep in mind that using HPIB is not a possibility right now for me.

1) How do you communicate via RS-232 to the E4419B?  Do I need a null modem cable to talk?  Is there any kind of program available that will allow datalogging of the front panel?

2) The recorder outputs do not seem to work at all on my E4419B power meter.  From the front panel menu, I have the recorder output turned on for Ch A, I have the max power set to 100 W (min power 0W) and I am just using a signal generator into Ch A to see if the recorder output even works.  I have an offset in the power meter so that 1mW looks like 100W.   I get no output voltage at all.  Maybe somebody else has had this problem and knows how to fix it?

If I cannot talk through RS-232, I would like to be able to use the recorder output and datalog the output voltage at least.  I would prefer RS-232 but as long as I can log from either one, I would be happy.

Can anybody provide help? 

dennis

* Power meter just went though a calibration a couple weeks ago and otherwise seems to work fine.

Outcomes