AnsweredAssumed Answered

How does an APC-7 connector work? Anyone got a formal specification?

Question asked by drkirkby on Sep 21, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 by dhamilton
I've been trying for some time to find a formal definition of the APC-7 connector, so that I can model an open-circuit APC-7 using a 3D EM simulator. I believe this was jointly designed by HP and Amphenol, but whilst I found an engineering drawing on the Amphenol wen site, I did not find it sufficient for my needs. 

But today something kit me. Is there some spring arrangement that allows the inner conductor to move a little? Unless there is, I can't see how it is practical to mate them together properly. 

* If they both protrude, then they will damage each other. 
* If one or more are recessed, by more than the protrusion of the other, they will never make a connection. 
* It will be impossible to mechanically machine them so that they are just close enough to make electrical contact, without damaging each other. 

Does the inner of an unterminated APC-7 stick out beyond the reference plane? If so, by how much - what are the limits on it? If I know this, I can model the APC-7 in an EM simulator, so derive the properties of an open from DC to many GHz.

Dave  

Outcomes