AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Programmatic change of instrument addresses (ASRL - serial)

Question asked by VRFuser on Jan 17, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 21, 2008 by VRFuser
Hi VRF,

Some time ago, there was a discussion about "Programmatic selection of instruments/interfaces" and the appropriate I/O configuration. Unfortunately the question how to do that with serial control has not been answered...

I want the address of the instruments be changeable by a setup function (all instruments connected to the PC RS232 interface). The aim is that one lab-PC can have instrument 'abc' connected to COM1 while another lab-PC has instrument 'abc' connected to COM2.

My (embedded) I/O configuration is as follows (Vee 8): 

----ASRL0                //COM1
    -----'abc'
----ASRL1                //COM2
    -----'def'
----ASRL2                //COM3
    -----'ghi'

I tried to change the Com Port of 'abc' from COM1 to COM2 by using "IO.abc.visaAddress="ASRL1::INSTR" from "Function browser-->Instruments->Serial Instruments".

Reading back the address of 'abc' results in "ASRL1::INSTR", however the instrument does NOT perform any I/O action on Com2, but still on COM1!? The I/O box of 'abc' is placed in the same thread as the formula which changes the address.

I noticed that the above instruments have an attribute "ppAddr" (value "ASRLx::INSTR") in the I/O config file which can not be changed programmatically (with GPIB instruments this seams to be possible)...

Any ideas? 

Sebastian 

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: ming_meng@agilent.com
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "http://www.vrfarchive.com/vrf_archive".
Search the Agilent vrf archive at "http://vee.engineering.agilent.com".  

Outcomes