AnsweredAssumed Answered

AW: vrf CPU resources while running VEE

Question asked by VRFuser on Sep 17, 2008
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2008 by VRFuser
Hi Mark,

use a OnCycle with 0.15s speed and you will get about 25% CPU usage on a DualCore (=50% usage on a SingleCore). Then use a OnCycle with 0.1s speed, and you will get exactly 50% CPU usage on a dualcore (=100% usage on a SingleCore). I've tested it on a Core2 Duo E6600, the single core I've simulated (with the task manager where I can configure which cores have to be used by a process). I'm sure that such a usage is not really necessary for a loop with 10 Hz. So if you write programs with many Threads (many OnCycle objects) it will be nearly unpossible not to reach the 50/100% usage on a dual/single core. However, the CPU isn't really locked by VEE. You can verify it if you start two VEE instances where every instance has a 10 Hz loop wich displays the elapsed time. (If you have a dual core please don't forget to configure that both instances use only one core). You will see, that every instance will display a value about 100ms although already one instance uses 100% on one core (I've used the mean(x) function of the last five values to avoid heavy flicker).

However, I always try to avoid Until Break whenever I can.

René

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Goldberg, Mark [mailto:Mark.Goldberg@ATK.COM]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. September 2008 17:15
An: VRF
Betreff: RE: [vrf] CPU resources while running VEE

Hi Doug,

Until breaks objects are notorious for this behavior. If you don’t really need “AS FAST AS THE COMPUTER CAN GO”, try using a On Cycle object and change the time to a speed that works for your application, even at .000001 seconds it will be nowhere near as consuming as the until break. I try to avoid the “Until Break” objects unless they are absolutely necessary for just this reason.

Mark

KROHNE Messtechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Ludwig-Krohne-Str. 5, 47058 Duisburg, Germany, Tel.: +49 (0) 203 301 0, Fax : +49 (0) 203 301 10 389, www.krohne.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Duisburg HRA 5359, Geschaeftsfuehrung: KMT Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH, Duisburg HRB 18730,
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Detlef Jacobi, Ingo Wald

HINWEIS
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche Informationen beinhalten und ist ausschliesslich fuer die im Verteiler genannten Personen bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht
im Verteiler genannt sind, lesen oder verbreiten Sie diese Informationen NICHT; loeschen Sie bitte diese E-Mail. Unsere ausgehenden E-Mails
einschliesslich deren Anlagen werden mit aktuellen Virenscannern geprueft, wir uebernehmen aber keinerlei Garantie dafuer, dass diese E-Mail
virenfrei ist. Weiterhin uebernimmt die KROHNE Messtechnik keinerlei Verantwortung fuer einen evtl. Schaden oder Verlust, der sich aus dem Erhalt
dieser Nachricht ergibt. Falls nicht ausdruecklich vermerkt, ist diese E-Mail keine gesetzlich bindende Vereinbarung.

NOTE
The information transmitted in this email is for the person or entity to which it is addressed: it may contain information that is confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, use, retransmit or disseminate this information.
Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.
No responsibility is accepted by the KROHNE Company for any loss or damage arising from receipt of this message. Furthermore, unless explicitly stated,
this email is in no way a legally binding agreement. The views represented in this email do not necessarily represent those of the corporation.

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: hua_jing@agilent.com
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "http://www.vrfarchive.com/vrf_archive".
Search the Agilent vrf archive at "http://vee.engineering.agilent.com".  

Outcomes