AnsweredAssumed Answered

E7495b sensitivity?

Question asked by johno on Mar 12, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 by RudyMuller
Hello,
I'm trying to locate a spec for the expected sensitivity of the E7495b Wireless Basestation Tester.  Specifically, there are a number of software features that allow over-the-air (OTA) reception of commercial cellular signals for the purpose of validation of the network's performance.  Options are available for GSM, CDMA2K, and W-CDMA.  However, the reference manual discussing the operation of these software options mentions that the user should either A) plug in to the test port of the basestation of interest, or B) locate the test box within nearby line-of-sight to the basestation of interest.

I appreciate the fact that it isn't an easy task to perform OTA testing (and line-of-sight is likely just a way to ensure sufficiently strong SNR for the receiver to synchronize and provide valid measurements), but I'm wondering if there is some fundamental hardware limitation in the E7495b that would prevent the software options for OTA measurements from being made successfully if line of sight to the basestation isn't available.  With the built-in preamp, I'm assuming that the noise figure is reasonably low (maybe not as low as a commercial cell phone, but presumably less than 10 dB), which would provide good performance even without line-of-sight.  The manual talks about a "marginal" SNR where performance isn't guaranteed, but from what I can tell, the range of measurement should likely be a good bit better than the line-of-sight requirement called out in the manual.

Any anecdotal (or other) guidance of what sort of receiver sensitivity/performance should be expected here would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
John  

Outcomes