AnsweredAssumed Answered

Applying a different calibration to DUT in PLTS after measurement

Question asked by cracraft on Apr 9, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 by cracraft
I have an N5242A and am runing PLTS2013 used on a microprobing setup.  In the past I have used the calibration substrate for my microprobes and calibration with an unknown thru to get the S-parameters for a single microprobe.  Then, I calbrate at my cable ends and measure my DUT.  Later, I will de-embed the microprobe part of the response in PLTS.  I know I should really get parameters for each microprobe, but I am just giving up that accuracy for now.

To be completely accurate I realize I should use my calibration substrate and perform a full 4-port calibration.  The catch here is that I don't always know exactly which probe pitches and signal-ground configuration I will use until I have the full DUT measurement set up and ready to go.  I typically measure bare product boards, and my contact points can vary in placement and pitch quite a bit.  Setting up the probe positions can be a couple hour job.  I hate to tear it down as soon as I have it figured out to do the calibration, but that's pretty much what I would have to do to make sure I have the right probe matched with the right port.

There are a lot of calibration functions that I haven't used in PLTS.  I know when I start a new measurement, I get the options to calibrate, use a stored calibration, or use no calibration.  I assume that when using no calibration is selected that there is some way to apply a calibration to the dut file after the fact.  In this case I'd like to initially use the calibration at my cable ends, but later go back and apply a calibration at the probe tips in place of the cable end calibration.  Is that possible in PLTS?

Thanks,
Michael  

Outcomes