AnsweredAssumed Answered

Amplitude Sweep over a wide range...

Question asked by diviney on Apr 8, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 by tabbott
I would like to be able to create a stepped amplitude waveform over a wide power range (nearly 100 dB).

In the specifications for the N5183A MXG, and I see there is an Amplitude Switching Speed specification of 2 mS (typ in List/Step sweep mode), and an absolute accuracy specification.  There are three footnotes however that state:

1. Time from receipt of SCPI command or trigger signal to amplitude settled within 0.2 dB.

2. Specification does not apply when switching from and to amplitudes where ALC levels are < –5 dBm for Option 540 or < 0 dBm for Option 520.

3. Level accuracy applies from –20 dBm to maximum output power between 15 °C and 35 °C.

I am fine with the 0.2dB (note 1), but...

Note 2 implies that the switching spec (2 mS) only applies for output levels > ~ 0 dBm.  I need to know what happens below this level...
Note 3 implies that the level accuracy does not apply below -20 dBm.  I need to know what happens below this level.

There is a large part of the usable output level range that seems to be unspecified.  I need to operate in this unspecified region from around +15 dBm down to -80 dBm.  How can I tell whether this instrument is capable of performing my task if it is completely unspecified there?  

Outcomes