AnsweredAssumed Answered

81150A pulsar.exe crashes

Question asked by Preston on Apr 13, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 by Pulser_Support
We have two 81150A's integrated into a long-term automated test system, and every month or so the measurement is interrupted by one of them 'crashing'.

I believe the exact wording is: "A native exception has occurred in Pulsar.exe."

One of them is triggering the other, and they are reconfigured periodically by a PC.  There are certain cycles in which the 'master' 81150 is receiving software triggers with intervals on the order of seconds, but generally it is operated in a burst mode for half a minute to 15 minutes depending on the test cycle.  We have now seen that error on both generators.  Initially we thought it was an I/O problem (using Labview to control them) and have used USB, GPIB, and LAN all for control/triggering and sen the error with all of them now.

Because we've not wanted too much downtime (when there's a crash we restart the experiment) we haven't updated the firmware and are on 2.04 or 2.05, whereas I think the most recent revision is 2.09.  Another reason we haven't updated the firmware is that it's recommended to NOT downgrade, and some team members fear that additional issues could be introduced with an update and we couldn't go back.

My primary question is:  Has this behavior been seen before, and were any of the last few firmware updates specifically designed to address this issue?  If that's the case then I can tell my colleagues confidently that we should update the firmware at the next downtime.  

Outcomes