AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf VEE and MODBUS

Question asked by VRFuser on Feb 7, 2006
Hi Niraj,

I suggest you trying the search of the VRF unofficial page HYPERLINK "http://www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/"www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/. Search for modbus and you will find some previous post about this topic.
My own experience has been using an activex from http://www.win-tech.com/html/devtools.htm. There are other activex options for modbus, I just picked that one because I needed Modbus TCP and RTU and some other characteristics the others don´t have.

So you will need to learn how to use some activex first. Some examples shipped with VEE, so you can check them out.

I think I once saw an example with modbus implemented full in VEE, but I can´t find it anymore, not even on the VRF Archive. I only see one of the examples on calculating the CRC, which may help you start, if you want to do everything from scratch. 

Nelson.

Niraj Patel wrote:

Hi Ed, thanks for the input,

The main type of power measurement that we need to make is a kilowatt-hour measurement, although we may want to look at other things  as well (such as current etc.)

I was wondering, how difficult would MODBUS be in VEE? Would I have to use Direct I/O to talk to the instrument or something else?
I have only been using VEE for about 1 month now and have managed to setup an Agilent 34980A over a network to read and log temperature measurements. This is all the experience I have had with VEE so far.

Also, I am not sure what other power meters have been considered. Out of the ones I have seen, one used the MODBUS protocol and the other one used a rarer DLMS protocol of which, again, I am not sure would not be compatible with VEE.

Anyway, thanks again for the help
   Niraj Patel

Ed Shaw HYPERLINK "mailto:eshaw@comtechefdata.com"<eshaw@comtechefdata.com> wrote:

Mr. Patel,

It seems you can do 2 different things here.
1)Although MODBUS can be difficult, once you figure it out it can be
done in VEE.

2)If your goal is to setup a power meter to measure power consumption
you can get a power meter that does not use MODBUS(RS485). Look into
using a power meter with a GPIB interface.

What type of power measurements are you making? RF? AC?

Ed Shaw
ATE Design Engineer

Comtech EFData Corporation
2114 West Seventh Street
Tempe, Arizona 85281
Tel. 480-333-2107
Fax 480-333-2525
HYPERLINK "mailto:eshaw@comtechefdata.com"eshaw@comtechefdata.com
http://www.comtechefdata.com

Niraj Patel HYPERLINK "mailto:npat16@student.monash.edu"<npat16@student.monash.edu> 2/5/2006 5:16 pm >>>

Hello,
      In short, I need to know if VEE Pro 7.5 is capable of
communicating and aquiring data from the MODBUS (RS485?? im not sure)
protocol.

I have searched google to look for drivers for a MODBUS protocol
that is specifically written for easy communication in VEE (as my
programming abilities are weak) but have not found anything (that I
recognise).

What I am proposing to eventually do is setup a power meter to
measure power consumption and then have these results read remotely over
a network into a basic VEE program I have made. The company I work for
has yet to purchase the aforementioned power meter as we are worried
about compatibility into VEE with the MODBUS protocol.

Thank you for trying to help, I will be happy to explain anything
again if something is unclear.

From Niraj Patel

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: HYPERLINK "mailto:eshaw@comtechefdata.com"eshaw@comtechefdata.com
To subscribe send an email request to
HYPERLINK "mailto:owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
HYPERLINK "mailto:leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email HYPERLINK "mailto:vrf@agilent.com""vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
HYPERLINK "mailto:owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at
"HYPERLINK "http://www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/"www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: HYPERLINK "mailto:nmambre@seebeck.com.ve"nmambre@seebeck.com.ve
To subscribe send an email request to HYPERLINK "mailto:owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to HYPERLINK "mailto:leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email HYPERLINK "mailto:vrf@agilent.com""vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to HYPERLINK "mailto:owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com""owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "HYPERLINK "http://www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/"www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

---

To subscribe send an email request to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".  

Outcomes