AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf IO Libs 14.1 and NI GPIB 2.4 Workaround

Question asked by sherekhan_kl on Jan 30, 2006
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!-- DIV {margin:0px} --></style></head><body><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif"><DIV>I have seen 14.0 work ok with Lab View just 3 months ago. The only requirement was that LabView had to be installed first to prevent it form overwriting some Vee stuff. Stange that NI claims it will not work now. <BR><BR>----- Original Message ----<BR>From: Joe Flynn |jflynn@sequoiacommunications.com><BR>To: VRF |vrf@agilent.com><BR>Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:43:31 AM<BR>Subject: [vrf] IO Libs 14.1 and NI GPIB 2.4 Workaround<BR><BR><XMETA CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>In case anyone besides me has encountered a mysterious error "GPIB-32.DLL is missing or damaged" after installing National Instruments GPIB driver version 2.4 and/or Agilent IO Libs version 14.1, there is a workaround other than staying with NI 2.3 or Agilent IO Libs 14.0.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In the Agilent Connection Expert, Under Tools, options, and the Agilent 488 tab, </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>uncheck the Use Agilent 488 library where possible.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The 14.1 libraries are overwriting the National DLL when this box is checked, according to the NI website.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I found this on the NI website:</FONT></DIV><DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV><DIV><STRONG>Problem:</STRONG> <BR>I see the message "The NI-488.2 file 'GPIB-32.DLL' is either missing or damaged. You can resolve this problem by performing the following steps...If this problem persists, contact National Instruments." My NI GPIB interfaces worked fine before I installed Agilent's IO Libraries 14.1. What's wrong?<BR><BR><STRONG>Solution:</STRONG> <BR>Agilent IO Libraries 14.1 overwrites a portion of the National Instruments NI-488.2 driver when it is installed. Specifically, the installer renames National Instruments' GPIB-32.DLL file in the WindowsSystem32 directory to GPIB-32.ORIG.DLL and copies Agilent's GPIB-32.DLL in place of NI's GPIB-32.DLL. Because NI's GPIB tools and accessories expect to communicate directly with NI's GPIB-32.DLL file, NI-488.2 and Agilent IO Libraries 14.1 cannot coexist on the same system. <BR><BR>The Agilent IO Libraries monitor the GPIB-32.DLL and will continuously replace it with the Agilent version of the DLL if it is changed. This makes it impossible to simply restore the National Instruments version of the DLL without first removing Agilent IO Libraries 14.1.<BR><BR>Agilent IO Libraries 14.0 and prior versions do not exhibit this behavior and thus should not produce this problem.<BR><BR><STRONG>Related Links:</STRONG> <BR><A id=bodyLinks href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3b3626d9c1f999218625694200791ad7" target=_blank>KnowledgeBase 20KG1C7Z: Can I Use Both National Instruments (GPIB) and Agilent/HP (HPIB) Controllers in the Same System?</A><BR></DIV><DIV>Regards,</DIV><DIV>Joe Flynn</DIV><DIV> </DIV><BR>--- <BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: sherekhan_kl@yahoo.com <BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <BR>To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <BR>Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/". </DIV></DIV></div><BR>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".</BODY></html>  

Outcomes