AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Read target of shortcuts

Question asked by VRFuser on Jul 14, 2005
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2658.24"><TITLE>Re: [vrf] Read target of shortcuts</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>OK, got it to work now.  The trick is that the File Name Selection dialog box converts the shortcut selected to the actual target path.  To do the same without any manual intervention, I do the following instead of the File Name Selection:</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>  fso.GetAbsolutePathName(Path)</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Thank you everyone.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Bruno.</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Bill Ossmann [<A HREF="mailto:bill.ossmann@philips.com">mailto:bill.ossmann@philips.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 14 juillet 2005 17:26</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I tried it in VEE 6 and saw the same problem. Using a File Dialog works</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>fine, but if you select the file beforehand by using the From File: button</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>on the From File object, VEE seems to not recognize shortcuts. Also, you</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>have a folder shortcut, the selector does not recognize it as a folder. In</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>either case the selector adds ".lnk" to the shortcut name.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Instead of selecting the shortcut name from the dialog on the From File</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>box, try adding a File Name control input. Feed the input from a text</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>constant or from a file dialog. You will need a sequence line to ensure</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>that the File Name input has data before the From File executes.</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Beliveau, Bruno </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 14 juillet 2005 17:23</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>The shortcut works fine with other applications (Word, Exel, Notepad).  Reading the target file directly from VEE rather that via the shortcut works too.  However, I have VEE 5 and not VEE 7.  Is it why it is not working?  If it is, is there something I can do to circumvent this.</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Stan Bischof [<A HREF="mailto:rsb@soco.agilent.com">mailto:rsb@soco.agilent.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 14 juillet 2005 15:52</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>"Beliveau, Bruno" |BrunoBeliveau@solectron.com> wrote:</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Does anyone knows how to open and read data from files pointed by shortcuts.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> In other words, I have a dozen of shortcut to data files grouped in the same</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> folder, and I want to read the target files from those shortcuts.  If I</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> select the shortcut in a "From File" object, I get a "no data found" error.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I just tried this and  VEE 7 reads the target files fine ( as expected </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>since the shortcut should be transparent ).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I'm going to have to guess a path problem or permissions issue.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Or maybe you are asking for data that actually isn't there. Try</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>usingthe same VEE code to read directly from the files rather than via</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>shortcuts.</FONT></P><BR>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes