AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Anyone ever programmed a Flam&Russell 8502 Positioner Programmer/Controller?

Question asked by mark.goldberg on Jul 18, 2005
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><TITLE>Anyone ever programmed a Flam&Russell 8502 Positioner Programmer/Controller?</TITLE><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1505" name=GENERATOR></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005>Steve,</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005>I worked for a company that made an antenna that had to be beam formed to a position to follow satellites. That position was passed from the receiver to the antenna. In order to test the antenna I had to read the position of the 8502 controller on the test positioner and send a command to the antenna to steer it. It was more than 6 years ago, but, I remember a few things. One was that timing was a problem with the outputs and I needed delays built into the reads to get the data correct. Also I think it was in BCD format, and that the position outputs were notorious for burning out. They had a problem with a set of 74 or 74LS series chips in the output that would just stop working. If you are having trouble getting the position to work I will see if I have any of that code left at home if you still need it (but it won't be until tonight). I also have a friend that still works there and I can ask him what he remembers about the 8502, as he was the one who fixed them.</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005>Let me know,</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=955465414-19072005>Mark</SPAN></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Estrin, Stephen   [mailto:ESTRINS@tycoelectronics.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, July 18, 2005   4:51 PM<BR><B>To:</B> VRF<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] Anyone ever programmed a   Flam&Russell 8502 Positioner Programmer/Controller?<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>We have an anechoic test chamber with the antenna   positioners controlled by an old Flam&Russell 8502 Positioner   Programmer/Controller. It has sat unused for several years, but now I have   been asked to look into what it would take to reactivate</FONT></P>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>It. The hardware all appears to work correctly. The   original test software was written in Rocky Mountain Basic on an old HP   computer, and I don't have access to a program listing for that code. I am   trying to implement code to control the 8502 in VEE, I have written a driver   library for it and have gotten most all the commands to work but I am having   trouble figuring out how exactly the angular increment SRQ's work and how to   read out the position angles in response to an increment SRQ. The programming   manual (if you could call it that) for the 8502  ins't much help at all.   If you've ever programmed one of these things (in any language) I'd really   apreciate any help you could offer.</FONT></P>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in Advance,</FONT> </P>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Steve </FONT></P><BR>---<BR>You are currently   subscribed to vrf as: Mark.Goldberg@atk.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email   to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to   "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,   email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a   message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes