AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Sharing LAN instrument with 2 VEE programs

Question asked by VRFuser on Aug 8, 2005
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:o = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1505" name=GENERATOR><STYLE>@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }P.MsoNormal {     FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}LI.MsoNormal {     FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}DIV.MsoNormal {     FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}A:link {     COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}SPAN.MsoHyperlink {     COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}A:visited {     COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {     COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}SPAN.EmailStyle17 {     COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose}DIV.Section1 {     page: Section1}</STYLE></HEAD><BODY lang=EN-US vLink=purple link=blue><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Joe,</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>First idea would be to send an EXECUTE LOCAL command from direct I/O.  That would be the easiest way...</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Here's another.  If you can, use IVI-COM drivers.  I've been working with them lately.  Although they are not very easy to use and there is a learning curve, it *should* solve your problem because you can close the session programmatically (you don't have to delete the library, either).  Disclaimer: I don't know which instruments you are using, so there may not be drivers for them.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Another possible (but in my opinion harder) solution would be to construct a DLL to handle the instrument communication and use SICL commands.  One function would open the instrument, giving you a handle you could use to later close it.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I have some other ideas but they are even harder.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=782140723-08082005><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>-Matt Bradley</FONT></SPAN></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Joe Flynn   [mailto:jflynn@sequoiacommunications.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, August 08,   2005 3:44 PM<BR><B>To:</B> VRF<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] Sharing LAN instrument   with 2 VEE programs<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>  <DIV class=Section1>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I’m trying to share an instrument   between two users on different XP PC’s (not at the same time, but both   programs will be running and waiting for a click on an OK button to control   the instrument) – both connecting via LAN and I/O lib 14.0, and using the   Direct I/O control with a TCPIP address. VEE 7.5 seems to demand full and   exclusive access to the instrument, preventing 2 run-time versions of the same   program from different PC’s to access the instrument.  The second gets   error 811 when it tries to communicate. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I tried adding all I/O to the   instrument to an external library, and deleting the library when the I/O is   complete.  Also tried to use the “to socket” to close the port, but   still, no multiple PC communication is possible. XP netstat-a shows the socket   connection, but VEE does not close the socket until the program   quits.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Does anyone have any   ideas?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Regards,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Joe   Flynn<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>  <P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN   style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></FONT></P></DIV><BR>---<BR>You   are currently subscribed to vrf as: matthew_bradley@non.agilent.com<BR>To   subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To   unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To   send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need   help with the mailing list send a message to   "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes