AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Bulding a waveform with VEE, generating I & Q components foruse with ESG E4436B Synth

Question asked by VRFuser on Jun 12, 2006
Chris,

Here are 2 app notes for an AWG that should give you a start.

The ABC's of Arbitrary Waveform Generation-Application Note 5989-4138EN http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb ... 4138EN.pdf

Using The E8267C PSG Vector Signal Generator-Application Note 5988-9212EN http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb ... 9212EN.pdf

Mike

Michael N. Asbery                (202)404-3014, DSN 754
US Naval Research Laboratory      fax (202)404-7661
Code 5733.20                    michael.asbery@nrl.navy.mil
4555 Overlook Ave SW
Washington DC 20375                                    
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 9:02 AM
To: VRF
Subject: [vrf] Bulding a waveform with VEE, generating I & Q components foruse with ESG E4436B Synth

I have requirement to build a baseband waveform, generate the I & Q components of a BPSK modulated signal and download these to the ESG E4436B sig gen (with the realtime I&Q option).

I am told matlab is great for producing the required waveform and has the FFT required for generation of the inphase and quadrature data that the ESG requires. However i am completely unfamiliar with Matlab, I am fairly familiar with VEE (6.0). Can the same thing be achieved with VEE, after all it has the matlab engine and can accept matlab commands. I understand that matlab has particular toolboxes for doing such dedicated things so this may be more difficult to achieve with VEE. Has anyone done something similar before?
Also I do not know much about digital modulation techniques, so be gentle! I have no real idea about how to even begin to generate the data reqd to synthesize my reqd signal. Any practical "hand holding" on how to actually generate the baseband wavform in the first place would be great. I am alos lead to believe that once the baseband data is in the ESG I&Q generator its fairly easy to select this to produce the out waveform reqd at the frequency reqd.

The nitty gritty of what i need to achieve as below...
generate a single tone (unmodulated carrier) at 2025MHz along with a BPSK modulated signal +8kHz away from the single tone carrier.
i.e at 2025.008MHz ( the symbol rate would be 2kbps but i guess thats fairly easy to set on the ESG).

thanks in advance to anyone who can assist

Chris Tanner
Com Dev Europe
01296 616 551

(+44 1296 616 551)

==--==--==
This email and any files transmitted with it are in confidence and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: michael.asbery@nrl.navy.mil To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

---
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

Outcomes