AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf SP-L Modulation / Manchester Coding to modulate a ESG E4436Bsource

Question asked by VRFuser on Jun 12, 2006

Hi All

I need to SP-L (Split phase - level) modulate a tone at around 2Ghz. I do not believe the agilent ESG E4436B digital synth has the ability to produce this modulation scheme as standard.

From what i have read, SP-L refers to the encoding scheme (split phase level). Effectively it uses manchester encoding of the input data stream. e.g a "0" becomes "01" and a "1" becomes "10" so effectively the data is carried in the transition between levels for each bit rather than in the level itself.
Using the manchester encoded data gives a double sidetone modulation shape in the frequency spectrum with a dip at the CF (similar to BPSK i think?) I wish to use the standard PRN15 data sequence which I now can be generated internally from the ESG and also this is a format that the BER meter option recognises.

If required i have no problem generating the PRN 15 data stream myself, and could also manchester code this to (for instance) produce an excel sheet with the data but i do not know about the practicalities of how to produce the I&Q component data in the format required by the ESG E4436B generator in order to make use of the realtime I&Q BBand option. (option UN8 i think).
If anyone has ever generated the data stream for this encoding/modulation scheme or knows how to do it, then their help would be much appreciated.

As i have said in a previous "help!" request to the VRF - I do not know much about digital modulation techniques, so be gentle! I have no real idea about how to even begin to generate the I&Q reqd to synthesize my reqd signal. Any practical "hand holding"  much appreciated

Also i would like to be able to use the E4436Bs internal BER meter to complete the loop and test my DUT for bit error. however i understand that if i encode my PRN15 sequence to manchester code (externally to the ESG generator, then the BER meter will not be of any use (it only understands standard PRN9  and PRN15 sequnces). If anyone knows a way of still using the BER option then that would be great.

Thats about everything, any help gratefully recieved

regards, Chris Tanner

==--==--==
This email and any files transmitted with it are in confidence and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

---
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

Outcomes