AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf VEE, PDA's etc

Question asked by VRFuser on Mar 11, 2006
Hi Ashley,

Microsoft have an ActiveX control (mscomm32.ocx?) that you can use to communicate with the RS-232 port.  In order to develop with this control, I think you will need one of the MS development environments e.g. VB, C or one of the MS Office Professional packages in order to get the control registered on your system for development.  You should not have any problems working with it from VEE 5.  Then you have no need for the Agilent IO Libs.  If you cannot obtain the mscomm32.ocx, then surf the web, there are a lot of rs232 ActiveX controls...

Good luck,

Andy

_____  

From: Ashley Derrick [mailto:ashley@smartsolutions.karoo.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 7:12 AM
To: VRF
Subject: [vrf] VEE, PDA's etc

Hi - Sorry to ask yet more questions !!!

I have a product I am developing which I use a VEE program to interrogate the unit and display recorded parameters on AlphaNumeric displays. The product has either a PIC16F877 micro or 16F627 and transmits data to either an RS232 port on the PC or USB (using Prolific serial /USB converter).

I am using VEE 5.01. Although the RunTime version is very small size and the VEE RunTime program is easy to install by a customer, the setting up of the PC com port is a real pain because the Agilent IO libraries have to be installed and configured, which is beyond the capability of some of my customers. Any ideas how I can communicate with COM1 on the PC without having to use the Agilent I/O libraries, without infringing  on licencing agreement problems.

I would also like to have an application above on a PDA but I know this is not possible with VEE. There is an NI LabView APP to do this, I believe but it looks very expensive, just to buy the Software package. Anyone out there doing a similar thing and if so what do you use to write the code?

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: andy.street@tycoelectronics.com
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".
---

To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".  

Outcomes