AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf I'm a new Vee user..trying to connect to a HP34970a

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 6, 2006
Hello Vee experts,

I just got Vee 7.51 and I'm in the process of trying to write a "driver"
to get 8 to 10 thermocouple temperatures with say 1 second scans from an HP34970a which is a multichannel recorder, I guess you could call it.
Of course I can start by just getting one temperature one time.  My thought is that the most common device anyone would connect to would be the HP34970a, but that's just a guess.

So far I only have an RS232 connection to the device.  I think I need to use Direct I/O to talk to it.  I have programming book for the device and have tried to send a "*IDN?" or "IDN?" to the device to see if I can get something back.  I got a bunch of syntax errors/etc. just entering the first Write line.  It does look like Vee sees the device on the end of the #1 RS232 port.

It looks like a panel driver can only be used if I have an HPIB connection which I don't have and can't quite figure out the VXIplug and play.....so I'm down to trying the direct I/O approach.

Any help appriciated.  Sorry for the newbee run around.  Maybe there is a file or old email someone can send me to help out.

Thanks very much in advance.

-Henry

---
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

Outcomes