AnsweredAssumed Answered

AW: vrf Virtual serial (COM) ports

Question asked by VRFuser on Mar 30, 2006
Hi Dave,

curiously I am currently in a similar need for a wrapper. Tis is because I want to read binary data from a serial port and VEE has that special 'feature' to stop reading data when an 0x0A byte is read. **** BTW: if somebody has a workaround, let me know ***
Therefore I am currently experimenting with a VEE wrapper library that uses the Microsoft mscomm.ocx ActiveX control.
My serial port is connected via USB/serial converter and I just made the test that inside the running VEE program the control is 'seeing' the port if it is plugged in, not seeing it if I unplug it, and seeÃng it again if I plug it in again. This is without restarting VEE.
Perhaps that helps you.

Georg Nied

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: David Watling [mailto:watling@IceraSemi.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. März 2006 14:33
An: VRF
Betreff: [vrf] Virtual serial (COM) ports

Hi all,

I have to test a product which presents itself as a virtual COM port (via the PCMCIA interface).  So I plug it in to the PC, run a Vee program, get a result, and unplug it.  The only thing is, Vee (or the IO libraries) cannot handle a COM port that disappears and re-appears.  This means I have to close & re-start Vee for each device I plug in.  In a production environment, this would be highly un-satisfactory.

The IO libraries seems quite capable of handling USB devices or GPIB interfaces or TCPIP connections that come & go, just not COM ports.

Questions:

Is this a known bug in the IO libraries?
Is there a Vee based work-around?
Is there another work-around (eg has anyone written a wrapper dll to deal with this?)

Regards

David Watling

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: g.nied@gn-software.de
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

---

To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".  

Outcomes