AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf USB/LAN instument interfaces

Question asked by VRFuser on Oct 30, 2006
Everyone,

I want to take this discussion to wider (I hope) audience. So, I posted my comment below to my blog.

"It's possible that LAN will cut into GPIB's stronghold, but it will take time. There's a lot of talk about LXI (especially from Agilent) and all their new instruments have USB and most also have LAN and GPIB. I suspect the limiting factor in LAN adoption is that there are relatively few LAN or USB instruments but plenty lots with GPIB. I suspect that there will be a slow transition to Ethernet and it will take years to suppant GPIB. By they way, I still run into annoucements for new instruments that have RS-232 and GPIB and some with RS-232 only. I would think that by now those would have USB as well, but not all do.

Having said that, though, there are a lot of applications for USB that fall outside the traditional system test. Many people are using USB for data-acquistion with sensors and for digital I/O. But, they don't usually use USB in conjunction with GPIB--more likely they work with with PCI/PXI as well as USB and they don't use VISA so some of the issues discussed in this forum don't appear there.

I once wrote a column about Ethernet supplanting GPIB, and that was 10 years ago. It may be another 10 years..."

Please consider posting your VRF comments (especially Jay) to my blog.
Here's the URL:
http://www.reed-electronics.com/tmworld/content/CA622608.html
Then click on "Rowe's and columns."

Thanks,

Martin Rowe
Senior Technical Editor
Test & Measurement World
781-734-8419
m.rowe@tmworld.com
Listen to "The Measurement Blues" at www.tmworld.com/blues

---
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

Outcomes