AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf FW: TLA 714 logic analyzers

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 24, 2003
Simon,
     I tried sending the below message with the attachments I spoke of, but they are 2 MB in size, so the vrf server kicked it back to me.  I will send the attachments directly to your address soon.

Thanks,
Marc

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 9:48 AM
To: 'Simon Parfitt'; VEE vrf
Subject: RE: [vrf] TLA 714 logic analyzers

Simon,
     I have had experience with driving the TLA714 logic analyzer over GPIB using VEE before.  The method I use, which was suggested to me by Tektronix, is to buy a USB or PCMCIA -to- GPIB card and use this as the GPIB interface.  Why they didn't put one on the unit to begin with, I'll never know.
     Just adding the GPIB capability doesn't take care of the problem, though.  The TLA still wants you to communicate with it via the Microsoft COM object.  Luckily for us, Tektronix actually has helped us out.  The Tek rep in our area put me in touch with one of their apps engineers and this engineer sent me a zipped up file containing a Visual Basic exe that acts as an interpreter between GPIB commands and the Microsoft COM object commands.  I have attached two zip files that contain both the source code and the actual exe.  You load this exe onto the TLA and run it on the TLA.  This program then connects to the GPIB card you have installed on the TLA, makes it a listener instead of a talker, and starts acting as an interpreter.  There is a config utility you must run first to set the address and a couple of other parameters.  There is also a document describing what GPIB commands correspond to what Microsoft COM commands for the TLA.
     One word of caution...we're using a National Instruments GPIB card, which I believe this software is looking for.  When I first ran the program,  It would accept the GPIB commands fine, but could not find an appropriate Microsoft COM command to interpret to.  For some reason, our National GPIB card seemed to be sending an extra character (but I don't know what it was...I think it was a CR or a LF) on the end of the GPIB string.  We had to modify the visual basic source code for this exe to strip off the last character of the incoming GPIB string from the computer.  We re-compiled the program (to do this, you'll need the library files off of your TLA for both the logic analyzer and the pattern generator) and everything now works fine.
     Hope this is of some help to you.  Good luck in your endeavor.

Regards,
Marc

Marc A. Engle
Product Engineer
Digital Cellular Product Line
RF Micro Devices, Inc.
7628 Thorndike Road
Mailstop : NC7628
Greensboro, NC 27409
Phone: 336-931-7445
Fax: 336-931-7753
E-mail: mengle@rfmd.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 3:19 AM
To: VEE vrf
Subject: [vrf] TLA 714 logic analyzers

Hello everyone

Has anyone out there controlled a TLA714 logic analyzer using Vee before?

simon parfitt

Email Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited.

Email messages are not necessarily secure.  Renesas Technology Europe does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.  Please note that Renesas Technology Europe checks outgoing email messages for the presence of computer viruses.

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: MEngle@RFMD.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

Outcomes