AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Vee 6.01 binary tranfer error

Question asked by ptarso on Mar 5, 2002
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META content="MSHTML 5.50.4912.300" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=2><FONT size=2><P>Hi Tom, </P><P>Unfortunately you did not understand what I meant. </P><P>I am already using the exact commands suggested by Agilent to read the Spectrum Analyzer trace data, that you have sent on you email. </P><P>I am using the binary trace format. That is the fastest one.</P><P>If I change my program to use to TDF P format, the problem would be solved but the data transfer rate would be unacceptable for my "real time"</P><P>remote Spectrum Analyzer application. </P><P>Two years ago my program was doing ok, as yours!</P><P>The problem has only appeared when I moved from VEE 5 to 6! </P><P>By saving my program on the new  VEE 6 format all MSB of each trace data point is 001! </P><P>The consequence is that its impossible to get the trace on its original size (scale). </P><P>IMPORTANT: that only happens on AMD or old Intel Pentium CPUs. Does not happen on Pentium III (?! why?).</P><P>Please read again my previous email</P><P> </P><P>Thank You anyway.</P><P>Best regards,</P><P> </P><P>Paulo de Tarso Bastos </P><P>Test Engineer - Star one <A href="http://www.starone.com.br/">http://www.starone.com.br/</A>  an Embratel Company</P><P>Rio de Janeiro Brasil </P></FONT></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV   style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>   <A title=tom_silchia@agilent.com   href="mailto:tom_silchia@agilent.com">SILCHIA,TOM (A-USA,ex2)</A> </DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=ptarso@wnetrj.com.br   href="mailto:ptarso@wnetrj.com.br">'Ptarso'</A> </DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:21   AM</DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: vrf Vee 6.01 binary tranfer   error</DIV>  <DIV><BR></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002>I have no idea if this(/these) attached example will   help. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002>The program was developed quite a few years ago. I   ran this on HPIB and a GATEWAY at the time. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002>It adds some functionality which you may (or may not)   have in your application. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002>Also note, there are examples very similar to this on   the web at http:/www.tm.agilent.com/ then go to the Technical Support drop   down and Search on TDF. There will be examples for all TDF formats for   both the 856x and the 859x family of spectrum analyzers.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=031311514-05032002>I HOPE this HELPS. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <P><FONT size=2>Tom Silchia<BR>Agilent Technologies, Inc.<BR>Americas Contact   Center<BR>800 452-4844</FONT></P>  <P><FONT size=2><BR></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original   Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Ptarso   [mailto:ptarso@wnetrj.com.br]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, March 04, 2002 1:55   AM<BR><B>To:</B> vrf@lvld.agilent.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> vrf Vee 6.01 binary   tranfer error<BR><BR></P></FONT><FONT face="Courier,Courier New" size=1>  <P>Hello Folks,</P>  <P>I woul appreciate any idea to solve my problem.</P>  <P>I have just upgraded my application, from VEE 5,01 to 6.01.</P>  <P>I have found that the new version does not work properly for direct I/Os   objects under some conditions. </P>  <P>I am using a HP E2050A lan/hpib gateway to access the hardware.</P>  <P>When the CPU is not a Pentium 3 or higher or is an AMD, the problem   appears.</P>  <P>The following steps may reproduce the failure:</P>  <P>Make a simple vee program that is reading the trace of a Spectrum   Analyzer</P>  <P>HP86xx previously commanded to send it on the binary format of two bytes   per</P>  <P>Point.</P>  <P>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</P>  <P>x WRITE TEXT "MDS W" EOL x</P>  <P>x WRITE TEXT "TDF B" EOL x</P>  <P>x WRITE TEXT "CONTS" EOL x</P>  <P>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</P>  <P>Read the trace on a loop, data on binary format:</P>  <P>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</P>  <P>X WRITE TEXT "TRA?" EOL x</P>  <P>X READ BINARY x INT16 ARRAY:601 x</P>  <P>Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</P>  <P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </P>  <P>On a PC with AMD CPU or a older pentium Intel , the first byte </P>  <P>(MSB) is always 001! (binary:00000001)</P>  <P>If the Vee program is written on the 5.01 version it works fine, even on   the new version, since the 6.01 runs on the compatibility mode.</P>  <P>The problem shows up when the program is saved on the new 6.01 format.</P>  <P>I suspect that the failure is related to the use of the lan/hpib   gateway.</P>  <P>I am using a LAN/HPIB gateway with the new agilent I/O libraries   (revision</P>  <P>J.02.00)</P>  <P>If the PC uses a Pentium III CPU there is no problem!</P>  <P>Should I go back to the 5.01 version?</P>  <P>Has anyone on the group faced a similar problem?</P>  <P> </P>  <P>Paulo de Tarso Bastos </P>  <P> </P></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes