AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf File transfer over GPIB == * as READ BINARY until EOF

Question asked by VRFuser on Jan 13, 2003
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45"><TITLE>Re: [vrf] File transfer over GPIB ==> * as READ BINARY until EOF not possible ????</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>With a file I/O transaction, you click on the "Size:" button and it changes to "To End" (and the quantity to "*").  With a GPIB I/O transaction, the EOF is not defined (not to my knowledge), so the same trick does not work.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: hermann.ruckerbauer@infineon.com [<A HREF="mailto:hermann.ruckerbauer@infineon.com">mailto:hermann.ruckerbauer@infineon.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 13 janvier 2003 08:19</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I have tried the program send by Phil (thanks a lot, see his mail below),</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>but my VEE (v6) is reporting an error, when it detects a # sign in the binary</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>data flow. So I tried the pure binary transfer.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>This works fine, if I do know, how much data is transfered, as I can give</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the size of the 1dim array I'm going to transfer.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unfortinally I do not know how big the file is I would like to transfer.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Therefore I took a look to the advanced programming guide which says on page</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>526 that a * will do a read binary until EOF. But when trying to write a star</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>into the corresponding "NumElements" field of the direct IO object VEE is</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>reporting a syntax error, when pressing OK to accept the command!</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Is this a bug OR something wrong in the handbook OR am I just to stupid do</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>use it correct ????</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Ursprngliche Nachricht-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Von: Phil McRevis [<A HREF="mailto:philmcrevis@hotmail.com">mailto:philmcrevis@hotmail.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Gesendet am: Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2002 15:48</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Perhaps this will help, but PLEASE excuse me if this attachment is not</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>appropriate.  Even though my days of code development are largely over, I</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>can't break away from looking at this group every now and then.  Is this</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>group similar to crack?  Maybe.  Gotta get a fix!</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Anyway, I used to use this program to transfer scope images via gpib.  While</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I don't have a licensed copy of VEE at my disposal right now to verify this</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>attachment (I suppose I could look at it in notepad), I recall using a</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>binblock transfer to accomplish this task.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Obviously, some customization will be necessary based on the potential</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unique commands of your individual scope(s), but that should be a simple</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>investigation.  First issue the command in an I/O transaction object to send</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the scope image, then perform a binblock read of byte array format.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I also recall preferring this simple little program because I didn't like</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the dependence of IntuiLink.  Hey, if I can get the job done with one or two</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>simple VEE objects, why bog myself down with IntuiLink?</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>>From: "Jay Nemeth-Johannes" |jayj@ventureconsult.com></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>Reply-To: "Jay Nemeth-Johannes" |jayj@ventureconsult.com></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>I think you will need to be more specific in order to get an answer.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>IntuiLink for the scope uses a set of documented scope commands for</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>transferring a bitmap screen image.  The spectrum analyzers use a similar</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>capability for a printer dump and then interpret the pcl codes to recreate</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>the image.  In both cases, the commands to get the screen image exist in</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>the instrument.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>If you want the same thing for a non-Agilent instrument, you are going to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>have to read the programming manual and see if the capability exists.  If</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>it doesn't, which is often the case, your only option is to pull the trace</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>data and manually create the rest of the screen with an external graphics</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>pack and then re-import.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>-----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>From: Dale Hauck [<A HREF="mailto:dhauck@Anadigics.com">mailto:dhauck@Anadigics.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 1:32 PM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>></FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Specifically image files, screen capture from an instrument.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>Agilent uses Intuilink to overcome this. What can we do for non- Agilent</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>instruments? I am unable to get source code for Intuilinks screen capture.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>Anyone?</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> The key seems to be in editing the header information to reflect the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>>appropriate file format.</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes