AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf FINAL - How to copy & delete files in Vee AND get respo

Question asked by VRFuser on Sep 11, 2003
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45"><TITLE>Re: [vrf] FINAL - How to copy & delete files in Vee AND get respond when done?</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>With the WIN98 well identified, that rings a bell to me.  On Win98, we experienced the same sort of problem with dos commands in general.  To avoid this, just change the command to "start /w command", which forces a wait for the command to complete before returning.  In your case, I guess the command line would be "start /w move myfile mydest" or even "start /w mybatch".</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: tapio.ronkainen@nokia.com [<A HREF="mailto:tapio.ronkainen@nokia.com">mailto:tapio.ronkainen@nokia.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 11 septembre 2003 08:22</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Hello once again...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>...not sure if you are interested but after hard keyboard banging and severe loss of hair i have find out the fact that...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>The WIN98 is just not for this tsk (or the driver that I use). You can copy large file once to MMC and back, but after that the PC and/or filesystem just become totally unstable. The filesystem claims (even using all below stuff) that file has been copied, when is actually sit's on a buffer of somesort... Hard so say.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Then I just tried this on WIN2000. Puf. No problems nonwhatsoever. Everything worked as it should without having "tricks".</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>So bottomline. Have to get couple extra memory DIMM's and convert that old test laptop to WIN2k.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>But still, thanks for very good support on this!</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>> -----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> From: ext Mike Groves [<A HREF="mailto:mikegroves@pacbell.net">mailto:mikegroves@pacbell.net</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Sent: 11 September, 2003 09:07</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Paul has come up with a simple plan that works, however as usual,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> I like to put my own spin on things to give you more choices for</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> solving your situation.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> If you use the MOVE command instead of COPY, Windows will first</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> execute a COPY command, then IF AND ONLY IF everything has copied</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> successfully, it will finally go back delete the source file. You</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> can use this sequence to your advantage, by simply testing if the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> source file has been deleted or not. If it hasn't, then the MOVE</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> command either has not completed, or something went wrong.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Paul's test loop can be altered to CLOSE the source file, thereby</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> testing for its existance. If you do this, you would then need to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> reverse the logic by moving the BREAK to the ERROR PIN and every-</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> thing should work as expected.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Just as a side note, I would also add a 0.1 second delay in the loop</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> to keep it from running continuously, but that's just me.  </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> -----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> From: Paul.Fowler@raytheon.co.uk [<A HREF="mailto:Paul.Fowler@raytheon.co.uk">mailto:Paul.Fowler@raytheon.co.uk</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 9:35 AM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> I don't have any external drives attached to my VEE box, so I </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> can't try</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> this.......but I think it should work.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Regards</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> (See attached file: MoveFile_With_Command.vee)Paul F.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> -----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> De: tapio.ronkainen@nokia.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Date: 10/09/03 11:20</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Failed to find an example on this...</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> In my test sw I need to copy a large (120MB or so) test file from one</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> location to another and delete it afterwards.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> This of course could be done by simply executing a command.com with</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> suitable parameters (copy & del) but the tricky part is that </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> I need to know</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> when the file transfer (or delete) is done. The command.com </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> returns to Vee</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> immediately, so it cannot be used. ...or it needs some additional</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> parameters that I am not aware.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Could you give me a advise (example, piece of pgr) of how to </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> do this with</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> Vee. I guess you need to use some ActiveX controls?</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> All suggestions are welcome.</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes