AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf CPU cycles

Question asked by VRFuser on Feb 21, 2002
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Arial size=2><DIV>Hello Barrie</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>This may work.</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>You could make an ActiveX control and give it a time to wait, and start the timer within it.  This control could then raise an <EM>event</EM>, which your VEE program would respond to.  </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Note that you cannot, or may not, be able to stop, or suspend, execution of an <EM>event handler </EM>in VEE.  A message box helps here.</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Hope this helps</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Andrew</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Genesys IBS</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>----- Original Message ----- <DIV>From: Barrie Walden |<A href="mailto:bwalden@whoi.edu">bwalden@whoi.edu</A>></DIV><DIV>To: Agilent Reflector |<A href="mailto:vrf@lvld.agilent.com">vrf@lvld.agilent.com</A>></DIV><DIV>Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 12:24 AM</DIV><DIV>Subject: vrf CPU cycles</DIV></DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>> Hi folks,<BR>> <BR>> I have an application running on a compact PCI machine having<BR>> ventilation problems.  One of the things I thought might help was to<BR>> reduce the CPU workload.  When I checked the CPU usage I discovered that<BR>> my Vee application maintains a 100% load - this is due to a continuously<BR>> running "until break" loop structure.  I decided to switch to a one<BR>> second "on-cycle" loop; this dropped the CPU load to about 10%.<BR>> Unfortunately, 1 second turned out to be too slow so I tried some<BR>> smaller values.  The results were interesting - it appears that there<BR>> are some "preferred" values such as .25 but in general, small numbers<BR>> require a lot of CPU time.<BR>> <BR>> Does anybody have a method for looping within a Vee application which<BR>> allows reduced CPU workload?  There are ActiveX "timer event" objects<BR>> which somehow appear to avoid CPU loading but I assume using one of<BR>> these would require my application to contain a normal Vee loop to watch<BR>> for an event flag or equal.<BR>> <BR>> Barrie<BR>> WHOI<BR>> <BR>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>> This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.  To send messages to<BR>> this maillist, just email to "<A href='mailto:vrf@lvld.agilent.com"'>vrf@lvld.agilent.com"</A>.  Subscriptions and<BR>> unsubscriptions are done through the address "<A href='mailto:vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com"'>vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com"</A>.<BR>> If you need details, just send a message containing the text "help"<BR>> to "<A href='mailto:vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com"'>vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com"</A>.<BR>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A href="http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com</A>).<BR>Version: 6.0.325 / Virus Database: 182 - Release Date: 19/02/02</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes