AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf VEE 5.0 Problem with National GPIB card and Keithley Scanner

Question asked by tdllc01 on Dec 4, 2001
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello All,</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is an FYI:</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This problem has been corrected by uninstalling the National PCI GPIB card and installing the Agilent 82350 card.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>NI card setup was checked, showing no problems.  Bus analysis with the NI card installed showed no corruption, but the Keithley scanner stalled the bus when receiving carriage return (c/r).  As an example the string "B78C78C79 c/r l/f" stalled immediately upon receiving the c/r as required by the scanner manual.  I could force the scanner to work by moving it to a different location on the bus, but then I started to find other problems with another vintage 1980s device made by MKS.  </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>All of the problems with this system were corrected immediately with the Agilent 82350 GPIB PCI card.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks for all the input.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>George Tyrrell</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TestDynamics LLC</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thornton, CO</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="mailto:georget@testdynamics.com">georget@testdynamics.com</A></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><BR></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi All,</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am experiencing what appears to be an excessive   speed problem with VEE 5.0 on NT4.0, the National PCI-GPIB card, and a   Keithley 706 scanner.  I am hopeful that someone has used this   combination and might have a solution or workaround. </FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am converting this system from a lan-GPIB   configuration using the E2050A gateway, and in this configuration the Keithley   706 responds properly to bus commands.  All bus cable lengths are well   within the IEEE-488 standard, with a daisy-chain configuration.  The   system configuration consists of a mix of various manufacturer's GPIB   interfaced products.  Strict attention is given to those instruments   requiring both c/r and l/f terminations.  In VEE, I/O conformance is set   to IEEE 488.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Converting to the National GPIB card internal to   the PC, however, causes problems with the Keithley 706 recognizing its   commands.  For the Keithey 706, channel open/closure commands are   sent followed by an ascii "X" to execute that set of commands.  The   Keithley 706 will hang the GPIB upon receipt of the "X", not accepting the   character, causing a timeout.  I have tried breaking up the   channel open/closure commands using time delays followed with   the "X", but it still hangs on that character.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am suspicious that the National card is sending   channel open/close data faster than the Keithley processor can   internally accept, and that the scanner doesn't know what to   do with its corrupted data when the execute "X" command is   received.  This scanner appears to be mid-80s vintage.  I can regain   control of the device with  a SDC command, but that resets   it to the power-up state.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Is it possible the GPIB card is switching to   high-speed mode when sending data to the scanner?</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any information/suggestions about taming this   GPIB card would be greatly appreciated!</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>George Tyrrell</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TestDynamics LLC</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thornton, CO </FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A   href="mailto:tdllc01@earthlink.net">tdllc01@earthlink.net</A></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>  </FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes