AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf VEE Program Completely Locks Up Computer After 10,000 iteration

Question asked by charles.hall on Oct 7, 2002
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12"><TITLE>VEE Program Completely Locks Up Computer After > 10,000 iterations</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Hello All,</FONT></P><P>        <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I'm using VEE 5.01 to process image data from a frame grabber board (Flashpoint Intrigue Pro) in a very fast loop. When I grab the data from the framegrabber board it is in a packed format and needs to be unpacked. The quickest way to do it is with VEE's "To File" and "From File" objects, that write the pixel binary packed data to a file on a ram disk with "WRITE BINARY PixelBuffer INT32", followed by "EXECUTE CLOSE". The from file object reads the data back in with "READ BINARY Y BYTE ARRAY: *,2" followed by "EXECUTE CLOSE". This reads the data back into the program as a decode grayscale value that I can then process. The array size is 64000 bytes, and it does the writing and reading of data back in approximately 110ms (on a 600Mhz Pentium II running Win98). The total loop time to read an image from the framegrabber, process the data, and get ready for the next image is approx. 175ms, repeatly. The file is overwritten each time, and looking at the memory consumption on the PC with a memory monitor, shows very little memory being gobbled up by the computer. But somewhere between the 10,000ths and 17,000ths iteration, the completer system hangs. You can re-boot with CTRL-ALT-DEL (striking it multiple times), but all other operations just freeze. I've put in code that identifies the "TO FILE" and "FROM FILE" objects as the last objects to execute before the system freezes. Is there some garbage collection in VEE that is overwriting protected areas of memory thats associated with a memory leak using the "To file" and "From File" objects?  Does anyone have any idea as to what is happening here ?? I've tried every sort of avenue on this, with no success. Any help would be appreciated. I was able to write a routine that unpacks the data without using the "TO FILE" and "FROM FILE" objects that runs with no problem, but it takes 600ms to complete a loop which is too long. Thanks in advance.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Charles Hall</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Sr. Control Systems Engineer</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Global Nuclear Fuel - Wilmington, NC</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes