AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Using the ToolHelp library: Upgrade 2

Question asked by VRFuser on Sep 3, 2002
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45"><TITLE>Re: [vrf] Using the ToolHelp library: Upgrade</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>In fact, the second import library had "Kernel.dll" as input.  As I understand, the "OS dependent" object is using the function "whichVersion()" to identify which version of NT is running, but the function returns which version of Vee is running (5.01 in my case).  That explains why we have the wrong dll.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I have hardcoded "ToolHelp.dll" and tried the program again.  Now I got another error: Windows says that the dll is not a valid Windosw NT image.  The ToolHelp.dll in my system is version 3.10 and dated 1996.  Quick view recognizes it as a dll, but not as an executable dll.  There are some exported functions, but no export table as found in other dll's.  As you may have guessed, the functions defined in the ToolHelp.h are not listed in the dll.  It seems that this dll was not updated with the service packs...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Bruno.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Shawn Fessenden [<A HREF="mailto:shawnf@ameritech.net">mailto:shawnf@ameritech.net</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 4 septembre 2002 08:46</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> I am getting an error 604</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> (Function was not loadable:</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> CreateToolHelp32Snapshot)</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> I tried the PView program</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> on WinNT sp6 and HP Vee 5.01.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>That would be NT 4 SP6. The tool help API wasn't incorporated into the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>kernel until W2K, a.k.a. NT 5. Check in the function "LoadLibs" to make sure</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>that the control input to the second Import Library object says</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>"ToolHelp.dll". If not, then for some reason SP 6 is bumping the NT version</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>up to or past NT 5 without providing NT 5 kernel compatibility.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>To fix this, forget about the "OS dependent" object and hardcode</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>"ToolHelp.dll" into the second Import Library object. Make sure you have</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>ToolHelp.dll on your system (it's probably in the system32 directory) and it</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>should work.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>If the Import Library object *is* importing from ToolHelp.dll, then you have</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>a different version of ToolHelp that I'm not familiar with. If that's the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>case, please let me know - there might be something I can do about that.</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes