AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf SavePanelImage file size

Question asked by VRFuser on May 29, 2003
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2656.31"><TITLE>RE: [vrf] RE: SavePanelImage file size</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>Thanks for your reply.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I was using a screen capture routine called MWsnap that I found on the net.  That one saves a gif file of about 45kb.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I've automated that step in Vee. </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I can save a PanelImage in Gif format with Vee 6.01 but it requires ten times the memory.  The number of colours setting is only good for the Bmp files.</FONT></P><BR><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Shawn Fessenden [<A HREF="mailto:shawn@testech-ltd.com">mailto:shawn@testech-ltd.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 12:53 PM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: VEE vrf</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: [vrf] RE: SavePanelImage file size</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>Guy,</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> The problem is that it's a little</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> hungry on the memory 450kB. Is there</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> a way to change the resolution of that</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> image.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Well, color depth and compression will be your best friends here:</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  1) Save in fewer colors, like 256 for example:</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     savePanelImage("|FuncName>", "|File>", 256);</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     16 colors works almost as well. If you don't</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     mind dithered monochrome images you can go</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     down to 2 colors.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  2) Convert the saved image to a compressible type.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     BMP supports RLE compression but VEE doesn't use it.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     Perhaps you could load the image via ActiveX Automation</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     in to an Automation server application and compress</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     it, or convert it to a GIF.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  3) As always, you could do-it-yourself, though</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     that's not an appealing solution.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>As for the do-it-yourself option, I messed up big-time on yesterday's</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>"Changing a bitmap colour in Word" thread. The code I posted isn't even</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>close. Friends shouldn't let friends code tired! I'm currently in the middle</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>of re-doing that (even though Gavin has chosen to use a different approach,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I can't stand my name attached to a public disgrace) so if you can wait a</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>day or two I can address compression along with color replacement. And for</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>once I'm doing this in pure VEE - no API necessary.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>-SHAWN-</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>---</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: guybonne@nortelnetworks.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes