AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Control of HP 83752 Sweeper ...

Question asked by VRFuser on Aug 20, 2001
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12"><TITLE>RE: vrf Control of HP 83752 Sweeper ...</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>Yep, I've done the same thing, except when I got it working I turned on</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the Bus I/O Monitor and sniffed out the commands that were being sent so</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I could use them myself in a Direct I/O box.  Much faster than component</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>drivers.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Just a short story about component drivers that happened to me just last</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>week for those interested.  An engineer who left the company had designed</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>and programmed (using VEE 3.12) 3 DC stations to test sample transistors</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>for a certain characteristic.  He used ALL panel drivers to talk with the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>instruments.  If there were no panel drivers available, he used the driver</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>creator software that came with VEE 3 to write one.  Another engineer that</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>did not know VEE was asked to make 5 more of these stations.  He put the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>stations together only he substituted an autoranging DC supply where there</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>was a fixed one before to get higher voltages needed.  He didn't know the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>fixed supply used SCPI, but the autorange supply used HP's older command</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>set.  When the software failed to work, he asked me if I could help.  Once</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I discovered what the problem was, I simply used the Instrument Manager to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>change that DC supply's panel driver to point to the other model.  Bingo,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>everything started working.  I was fortunate for 2 reasons.  First, the old</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>engineer only needed basic DC supply commands like setting voltage, reading</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>back current, etc.  Second, where they could, HP used a common set of input</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>and output pin labels for their drivers.  This made the one exchangeable for</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the other with no change at all to the existing VEE code.  Only the VEE.IO</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>file was changed.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I'm not saying programming using panel drivers is something I'll ever do in</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>my own programs, I just have a little more respect for them now.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Mike Groves</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>UltraRF a CREE Company</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Wills, Mark [<A HREF="mailto:MWills@tycoelectronics.com">mailto:MWills@tycoelectronics.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 7:01 AM</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: 'James Atkin'; vrf@lvld.agilent.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: RE: vrf Control of HP 83752 Sweeper ...</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi James,</FONT><BR>        <FONT SIZE=2>I don't know whether or not this will help you but I had a similar</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>problem when trying to control one the old HP sweepers (to which I was not</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>given the manual). After much hair pulling I ended up going to the HP</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>website and downloading a component driver (to the HPIDS directory under the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>vee installation directory) and setting the power and CW freq this way.</FONT><BR>        <FONT SIZE=2>If you are not familiar with component drivers (or for others who</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>may not be) I think they are a bit messy compared to direct IO commands but</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>very effective, just select IO > Instrument manager and click on the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>instrument you want and select component driver. Now just add an input and a</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>box will pop up giving you a list of available inputs that can be selected</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to add to the object and away you go (hopefully).</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I hope that this helps.</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>Regards,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Mark Wills</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Principal ATE Engineer</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> * E-mail:  mwills@tycoelectronics.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> * Phone: +44 (0)1908 574209 (direct line)</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> * Phone: +44 (0)1908 574200 (switchboard)</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> *  Fax:     +44 (0)1908 574300</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Tyco Electronics UK Limited  M/A-COM Division </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Featherstone Road</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Wolverton Mill</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Milton Keynes</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>MK12 5EW</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Creating chaos out of order !</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: James Atkin [<A HREF="mailto:James.Atkin@wireless.comdev.ca">mailto:James.Atkin@wireless.comdev.ca</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: 20 August 2001 11:30</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: vrf@lvld.agilent.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: vrf Control of HP 83752 Sweeper ...</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi all,</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I have been writing some control software for the HP 83752 Sweeper recently,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>and in the main, it all works. </FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>However (You knew I was going to say that !!!), there are a couple of</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>commands that do not appear to work (or more likely, I am using them wrong</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>!).  I am trying to Set C/W and Set the Power Level.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Does anyone have any experience controlling these devices ?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Any help would be appreciated ...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Best Regards,</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>James</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>-------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>James Atkin BEng(Hons) AMIEE</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Software Engineer</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Com Dev Wireless</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Unit 12, Humphrys Road</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Woodside Estate, Dunstable</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Beds, LU5 4ZH</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>-------------------------------------------------------</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.  To send messages to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>this maillist, just email to "vrf@lvld.agilent.com".  Subscriptions and</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unsubscriptions are done through the address "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>If you need details, just send a message containing the text "help"</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.  To send messages to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>this maillist, just email to "vrf@lvld.agilent.com".  Subscriptions and</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unsubscriptions are done through the address "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>If you need details, just send a message containing the text "help"</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT></P></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes