AnsweredAssumed Answered

Vrf Licensing of VEE

Question asked by corey.wills on Jun 6, 2002
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2002 by corey.wills
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12"><TITLE>RE: vrf Re:  Vrf    Licensing of VEE</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>Hello everyone,</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I've been lurking on here watching the discussion and finally couldn't resist throwing my two cents in.  My company has purchased every version of HP/Agilent VEE since the 2.X days.  We use VEE for data acquisition/analysis on two mobile platforms (old railroad passenger cars), on multiple test machines at our lab, and on my office machine/laptop.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>We own six licenses of VEE Pro 6.0.  I am the only person at my company who knows how to program in VEE.  We occasionally bring in a consultant programmer.  When he is here we have three licenses of VEE per programmer.  This seems adequate.  We do have the development version installed on a few more machines than we have licenses for.  Since each of our test systems is unique, doing development and troubleshooting on each is critical.  We have by the way also bought several hundred thousand dollars worth of HP/Agilent test hardware/systems over the last 10 years along with all of the VEE licenses.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>In looking at the upgrade to 6.1 there are four new features listed.  First is support for XP.  I have VEE 6.03 installed on XP and so far have not found any incompatibilities, although I haven't done extensive testing with it.  Second is MATLAB 6.1 which might have some benefit for certain users.  Third is improved ActiveX which sounds like vauge Microsoft talk.  The final new "feature" is this new NIC based licensing fiasco.  I see no compelling reason here to upgrade.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I have experience with NIC MAC address based licensing for our CAD software.  We have five licenses of IBM CADAM using the NIC MAC address for license keys.  In the last two years, IS replaced all our computers once and more recently upgraded us from Token Ring to Ethernet.  Both of these occurances forced us to go back to IBM and beg for new license keys, and caused a few days of downtime in the process.  This is a potential headache I do not want with my test systems too.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>There are quite a few bug fixes in 6.1.  One I'd love to have is the fix for the trace markers jumping to new locations.  I took the time to submit an example of that or two to Agilent.  Apparently I will now have to buy the fix if I want it.  </FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>As far as my I am concerned, I will not be purchasing any copies of VEE 6.1.  I hope Agilent will release another 6.0X patch with some of the bug fixes, although I'm not holding my breath.  It seems to me Agilent may be stopping a few true software pirates, but they are alienating a major portion of their legitimate customer base in the process.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I hope Agilent is listening...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Regards</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Corey Wills</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>BNSF Railway</FONT></P><BR></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes