AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf RS-232

Question asked by VRFuser on Jan 21, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Message</TITLE><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><DIV><SPAN class=572531009-22012004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Thanks for all your help, easy answer. </FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class=572531009-22012004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><SPAN class=572531009-22012004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Simon </FONT></SPAN></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV></DIV>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT   face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Robert Reavis   [mailto:robert@wscw.com] <BR><B>Sent:</B> 22 January 2004 07:30<BR><B>To:</B>   VRF<BR><B>Cc:</B> VRF<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] Re: RS-232<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>You need to do just a little bit more preparation   prior to sending eight-bit data words.  In the I/O interface description   you need to specify that the data is eight bits plus the parity type plus the   stop bit count.  See the Advanced Device Configuration button on the   Device Configuration panel that pops up when the Edit Instrument button is   clicked on in the Instrument Manager, reached from the I/O menu in the VEE   toolbar (got that?).</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Robert Reavis</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Warm Springs Computer Works</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Fremont, CA</FONT></DIV>  <BLOCKQUOTE   style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>    <DIV     style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>     <A title=BrunoBeliveau@solectron.com     href="mailto:BrunoBeliveau@solectron.com">Beliveau, Bruno</A> </DIV>    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=vrf@agilent.com     href="mailto:vrf@agilent.com">VRF</A> </DIV>    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A title=vrf@agilent.com     href="mailto:vrf@agilent.com">VRF</A> </DIV>    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, January 21, 2004 7:54     AM</DIV>    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] Re: RS-232</DIV>    <DIV><BR></DIV>    <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN     class=143115115-21012004>Just sent the bytes you need to send to     the RS-232 I/O and it will work.  If you use a direct I/O interface in     VEE, you can put a "write byte" transaction (followed by the byte     value).  ASCII is just a way to represent characters.  The RS-232     I/O sees the 8 bit data, whatever they represent.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>    <BLOCKQUOTE>      <DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=2>-----Message       d'origine-----<BR><B>De:</B> Simon Parfitt       [mailto:Simon.Parfitt@renesas.com]<BR><B>Date:</B> 21 janvier 2004       10:04<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>I am sure this       as been asked before.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN       class=453455714-21012004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>It looks like       I am going to have to send data down the RS 232 port. But the device I am       going to control does not work on ASCII !!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN       class=453455714-21012004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>It uses 8       bits, now I am sure VEE cannot send 8 bits via this bus only the ASCII       standard?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN       class=453455714-21012004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>But this is       the interesting bit. The device is controled right now from Mat Lab. Now       this can send binary or ASCII down the RS232. It is now set to binary so       works fine.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN       class=453455714-21012004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>I was       wondering if there is a dll out there that i can use to send binary data       down the RS232??</SPAN></FONT></DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN       class=453455714-21012004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>      <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=453455714-21012004>Or could I use       the built in MAT LAB to do it?</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You     are currently subscribed to vrf as: robert@wscw.com<BR>To subscribe send a     blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a     blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to     this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the     mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>Send     your favorite VEE example to "VRF-EXAMPLES@agilent.com" for possible     inclusion in VEE 7.0! </BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf   as: simon.parfitt@renesas.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to   "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to   "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,   email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a   message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>Send your favorite VEE   example to "VRF-EXAMPLES@agilent.com" for possible inclusion in VEE 7.0! </BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3><BR><BR>---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Email Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer <BR><BR>This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited. <BR><BR>Email messages are not necessarily secure.  Renesas Technology Europe does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.  Please note that Renesas Technology Europe checks outgoing email messages for the presence of computer viruses. <BR></FONT>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>Send your favorite VEE example to "VRF-EXAMPLES@agilent.com" for possible inclusion in VEE 7.0!</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes