AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf attachment sizes

Question asked by VRFuser on Dec 2, 2003
All,

For the purpose of viewing and editing image files I can't say enough about a program I've been using for years called Irfanview. It
is by far the easiest image viewer/editor I have ever used and great for easily converting bmp's to jpg's...

Read more:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2192-10021962.html

I am not in any way affiliated with the authors/distributors of this software.

Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: "BAYES,SCOTT (A-Loveland,ex1)" <scott_bayes@agilent.com>
To: "VRF" <vrf@agilent.com>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 6:42 PM
Subject: [vrf] attachment sizes

> Hi vrf-ers,
>
> I recently got a request from a member to remind folks that large postings can be quite painful for those of us using ordinary
modems. Sometimes the size of a .bmp image can be a MByte or more for a small and innocent-looking picture, and take a looooong time
to download at 28.8 or 56 kbps.
>
> We have set a limit of 1MB for vrf attachments in the listserv software, but we request that you please try to keep the sizes of
attachments as small as you can.
>
> Pictures done as .bmp files are usually the biggest; if you can instead send attachments as jpg or gif files, you can greatly
reduce the size.
>
> Another technique is to crop out parts of the picture that aren't relevant to the question or answer. For example, if you have a
picture of a BRB (Big Red Box, also known as a "VEE Serious Error") that you want to send, the tangle of lines and objects behind it
usually isn't useful, so cropping to exclude them is a good idea. The Windows Paint program provided by Microsoft in the Accessories
folder of the Start Menu can crop images, as well as saving as jpg or gif, at least in the Win2000 version.
>
> Even with jpgs and gifs there are some quick little tricks that may reduce sizes further for little extra effort, assuming the
software you're using provides this level of control:
>
> - with gifs, 4 or 5 bits per pixel is usually enough to communicate the idea, though the colors may not be very accurate. Using 4
bits/pixel can cut .gif file size in half.
>
> - with jpgs, by reducing the "quality" of the image you can often shrink the file by very large amounts, and make it smaller than
most gif representations. Again, the picture may be a bit blurry or pixellated, but if it's clear enough to read, it should be
adequate for most purposes on the vrf.
>
> Unfortunately, Windows Paint doesn't seem to be able to provide this kind of fine control.
>
> Embedding your pictures in .doc (Word) or .pdf (Acrobat) files can also cause them to be larger than necessary, so if you can do
so please attach as "bare" picture files.
>
> Thanks for cooperating.
>
> Best Regards,
>
>
> Scott Bayes
> Software Technical Support
>
> Agilent Technologies, Inc.
> 815 14th Street S.W.
> Loveland, CO, U.S.A. 80537
>
> 970 679 3799 Tel
> 970 635 6867 Fax
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to vrf as: wdrago@suffolk.lib.ny.us
> To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".
> If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
>

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

Outcomes