AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf AW: VEE via LAN

Question asked by VRFuser on Nov 24, 2003
Sorry Mike,

but I'm no real friend of VNC & others. They are extremely bandwith-consuming on older 10MBit-lans and the timing inside your application code may be affected by the huge load inside the operating system - had loads of funny results with LabVIEW while using it with PCAnywhere 10.5 on a W2k-Machine.

And the stability of the VEE socket implementation is pretty good, while I saw several bluescreens on targets while using VNC, which is the favourite tool of our IT-gurus for childminding office-users.

Regards,
Stefan

-----Ursprngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Mike Groves [mailto:mikegroves@pacbell.net]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 25. November 2003 12:25
An: VRF
Betreff: [vrf] RE: VEE via LAN

You didn't mention what platform the VEE programs were running on, but I would think the absolute easiest way to do this, without touching your VEE code, would be to use one of the many remote control programs that are available. Here are my suggestions...

1) If all of the machines are running Windows XP, you can use the "Remote Desktop Connection" built into XP to get one PC to control another.

2) If all the PC's involved are running Windows, it doesn't get much easier than using pcAnywhere from Symantec. Version 11 is outstanding. It will cost a little bit, but I've used this for years to control VEE machines remotely and it does an excellent job. http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/ ... roductID=2

3) If these are not all Windows machines, or you would like to get by very inexpensively, then you can go with RealVNC. (www.realvnc.com/winvnc.html) I used it years ago. It has the advantage of remote controlling dissimilar machines and best of all, it's free!

My suggestion is to leave your VEE code as is and install one of these.

Cheers!
Mike Groves

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:05 AM
To: VRF
Subject: [vrf] VEE via LAN

Dear all,

a big VEE program is in operation since a couple of months. It runs quite stable locally in a RF chamber. Now I need to control the instruments remotely via a LAN. I tried to understand the LAN functionality of VEE reading the manual. This did not really help me in short time.

Is there a "simple" possibility to implement remote control of the instruments via LAN without touching major parts of the existing VEE program. I would like to have just a switch that tells to the computer in the RF chamber "take all commands from remote computer at x.x.x.x". The remote computer should be advised "send all commands to remote computer y.y.y.y where the GPIB instruments are connected"

Is this just a dream or is this possible? Are there guidelines how to achieve it available?

Actually in the final end the remote control has to be via internet.

Sincerely
Hans-Joachim Fischer

------------------------------------------
ESF GmbH
Brennerweg 7
D-89143 Blaubeuren
+49-7344-919693
+49-7344-919691 (fax)
+49-175-40 74 5 74 (GSM)
http://www.esf-gmbh.de
------------------------------------------

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: mikegroves@pacbell.net To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: Stefan.Paulick.extern@brose.net To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

Outcomes