AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Agilent Vee Pro 7

Question asked by mark.goldberg on Oct 30, 2003
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2003 by mark.goldberg
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><TITLE>Agilent Vee Pro 7</TITLE><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=GENERATOR></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=828273818-31102003>Scott,</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=828273818-31102003></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=828273818-31102003>What about the number of machines? Is it still all machines 1 user?</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=828273818-31102003></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=828273818-31102003>Mark</SPAN></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> scott_bayes@agilent.com   [mailto:scott_bayes@agilent.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, October 31, 2003   10:21 AM<BR><B>To:</B> VEE vrf<BR><B>Cc:</B>   vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] RE: Agilent Vee Pro   7<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Hi   Ed and vrf,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I   really enjoyed meeting and talking with you at VEE Days. Wish I'd had a chance   to join some of the other VEE Days, but the boss says I have to do some work   sometimes. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>But   Nic will be presenting at San Diego and LA VEE Days next week, so anyone who   attends, be sure to go up and introduce yourself. These events are still   scheduled, and it looks like the weather is helping the firefighters, so it   should work out OK.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I   guess the other half of the coat of paint analogy is that the current ways of   getting at the resources in your list (ActiveX, etc) are a patchwork quilt:   you need a myriad of techniques and multiple doses of learning to be able to   talk to all the of them. With .NET, you get a uniform interface, a coat of   paint, to many of these things (not all yet, but many), with decent   documentation, etc.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>VEE   7.0 will support direct connections to the instrument using both USB and LAN   (in addition to traditional PCI GPIB and GPIB converters, which we will   continue to support). Just go to Best Buy or Fry's and get a $15 USB cable to   connect the PC to the instrument. Or hook the PC and the instrument together   via a LAN hub or switch, no GPIB converter required. To see an instrument that   supports this, find the 33220A Arb on the Agilent website, which has GPIB, USB   and LAN sockets. More and more instruments with these 3 interfaces will be   appearing from Agilent.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>VEE   7 licensing will be the same as the 6.2 scheme: if you buy the product, we   send you a Product Key that enables your copy of VEE forever when you type it   in. If you want to try VEE 6.2 or 7, download the evaluation or request a CD,   then when you're installing it, type "eval" into the dialog that asks for   Product Key and VEE will run as a fully functional evaluation for 30 days.   After that, it will refuse to run without a purchased Product Key. If you   later purchase, just type the Product Key you receive into VEE and it's   permanently enabled. You don't need to reinstall, because the evaluation   software is exactly the same bits as the product, with exactly the same   capabilities, though the eval CD and download do contain some extra multimedia   presentations.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Best   Regards,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>  <DIV><SPAN class=664023917-31102003></SPAN><FONT size=2>Scott   Bayes<BR>Software Technical Support<BR><BR>Agilent Technologies, Inc.<BR>815   14th Street S.W.<BR>Loveland, CO, U.S.A. 80537<BR><BR>970 679 3799 Tel<BR>970   635 6867 Fax</FONT> </DIV>  <BLOCKQUOTE   style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">    <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma     size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Shaw, Edward     [mailto:eshaw@comtechefdata.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, October 31, 2003     9:27 AM<BR><B>To:</B> VEE vrf<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] Agilent Vee Pro     7<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>    <UL>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman">A few of us from our company attended an       Agilent VEE days seminar last week in Phoenix, AZ. We got to meet Scott       Bayes, Ken Colasuonno, Jeff Holman, and Jeff Neal from Agilent. Scott       correct me if I'm wrong about any of this stuff.........</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman">Overall I thought VEE days was very well       done. They started with an overall intro about VEE and covered MATLAB       scripting, networking features, Excel, XML and database data exporting       techniques and a little on handling large programs and memory       optimization.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman">Then at the end they covered the new       release of VEE 7:</FONT> <BR><FONT face="Times New Roman">Ken Colasuonno       (Program manager for Vee 7) first showed off the undo feature and told us       we had to clap and ohh and ahhh. It seems to work ok and it did generate       some genuine excitement. The beta version had some kinks in the undo       feature which triggered the new Red Box of Death. The new BRB is not red       anymore. It's gray and seems to have more troubleshooting info attached to       it like the stack. If I understood correctly you can back up in the stack       to see what triggered the, I guess you would call it, "Gray Box of Death".       They also have a button on the new "BRB or now the BGB" which, when       selected, will e-mail all the defect information to Agilent support. I       think they said it gets put in a big defect database.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT       face="Times New Roman">Ken said he also manages the T&M Toolkit and       mentioned they are trying to tie in a lot of the features between the       two.</FONT> <BR><FONT face="Times New Roman"> </FONT> <BR><FONT       face="Times New Roman">Not really proficient with Visual Basic or Visual       Studio but my colleague commented that Vee 7 seems to tie in a lot of the       look and feel for some of the features like selecting numerous objects and       changing their properties all at once. There was a grid on the panel view       of VEE 7 with snap and alignment features.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT face="Times New Roman">A       lot of features called .net or Microsoft.net which makes it easier to tie       into Microsoft products using ActiveX, Excel, Access, Word, Internet       Explorer,Windows API, etc. I think Scott Bayes (VEE technical support)       described it like putting a fresh coat of paint over the previous       version's methods of accessing those Microsoft products. Ken said there       was more documentation in the help menu about those techniques as       well.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT face="Times New Roman">I       think they said there was more USB device support in the I/O manager. They       said Agilent is trying to get away from needing to use a GPIB card       altogether. They will just have a direct USB connection from instruments       to computer.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT       face="Times New Roman">Scott mentioned something about the VEE 7 licensing       agreement. Something like you can have a licensed copy on your office       computer which will allow you to have a 30 day fully functional       development version running on your test station. You just aren't allowed       to use both simultaneously. No more being two places at once I guess. Then       once you are done developing you run the .vxe on the test       station.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT       face="Times New Roman">Overall I think it can be very much worth the, I       think they said, $300-400 upgrade price. It seems to make certain somewhat       complicated things easier to develop.</FONT></P>      <P><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT><BR><FONT       face="Times New Roman">Ken said they are working towards making VEE 7       available in early 2004. What they would do for now is sell you version       6.2 and then when 7 becomes available they would give it to you for       free.</FONT></P></UL>    <P><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Ed Shaw </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial     color=#000000 size=2>ATE Design Engineer </FONT></P>    <P><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Comtech EFData Corporation     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>2114 West Seventh Street     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Tempe, Arizona 85281     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Tel. 480-333-2107     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Fax 480-333-2525     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>eshaw@comtechefdata.com     </FONT><BR><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2><A     href="http://www.comtechefdata.com"     target=_blank>http://www.comtechefdata.com</A></FONT> </P><BR>---<BR>You are     currently subscribed to vrf as: scott_bayes@agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send     a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send     a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to     this mailing list, email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <BR>If you need help     with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".   </BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as:   Mark.Goldberg@ATK.COM<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to   "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to   "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,   email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the mailing   list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes