AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf The future of vee marketing? Another two cents (more or less) worth

Question asked by ramarquardt on Mar 30, 2004
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2004 by ramarquardt

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Hello All,</font>

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">VEE is GREAT !     So is the Mac OS.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">The discussions so far - point heavily to VEE marketing to make or break VEE.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Apple could NOT figure out a way to out market MicroSoft, hence the stagnation of</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">an excellent OS  for personal computers. Windows is an awfull OS both for the user</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">and the programmer. In spite of that we all use Windows, why? Marketing of course.</font>

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">The biggest marketing detriment is the loss of the HP name. Once HP T&M became</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Agilent - their name became known only to those in the world of T&M and then only</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">those already familiar with HP T&M [a pretty large percentage no doubt].</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Every one in the world [even in many third world countries] knows HP.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">They should have retained the HP name and called it "HP Test and Measurement</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Corporation" or something like that.</font>

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Some suggestions:</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">1) Work some deal with HP to get the name back. This would be worth "All The Tea In China" - so to speak.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">2) For the short term, treat VEE as a marketing tool to leverage sales.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        As long as Agilent treats it as a source of income it will languish. Once it comes</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        into common use, income could be generated by selling upgrades, features</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        and add ons.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">3) Get VEE onto to every household, grade school, high school and college PC</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        Make a non T&M version and give it away free. Include some MATLAB capability</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        for high school and college users (maybe a small FEE?).</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        Get computer manufacters to bundle it with their PC's [HP/Compaq shouldn't be too difficult?]</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">4) Sell the T&M component(s) or version separately.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        Income can be generated here but I suggest lowering the cost, give more away free.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        Sell or give away more value adds - tools & components to Test Engineers even more</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        productive. VEE is an extremely high productivity tool, better than anything out there [that</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        I know of], show the world! I would LOVE to have a copy for home use, but I won't pay</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        $100's for it when I can get lots of free stuff my kids can learn on.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">5) Advertise. Show how easily kids can learn computer programming and be able to use it</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        to automate repetitive tasks [school - home - etc]; to make games, to make internet</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        games [like the battle ship sample]. They could make their own tutoring applications</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        to execute multiplication drills, etc. Agilent needs a vision to win in the market place.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">6) For T&M make sure there are a very intelligent set of instrument drivers for both Agilent and</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        all competitors equipment. Especially for outdated instruments that many of us are still</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        stuck with. The goal should be to make your customers productive - don't make them</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        write instrument drivers [provide a good tool to teach them how in case they want to];</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        help them succeed by getting their Test Equipment into production faster. Why should</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        we have 1000's of folks all developing their own versions of instrument drivers. Develop</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        a standard than will be backwards compatible with old style drivers or driver interfaces.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">7) NEVER drop support of old products. We were burned when TDE support was dropped by</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        HP/Agilent. They lost a lot of trust as a business because we had $5M of equipment</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        running TDE with no migration path. All that was needed was for Agilent to provide</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        a VEE TDE Library to allow transition of our test software from UNIX based systems</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        to PC's. I reverse engineered my own TDE library which covered the small portion</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        my department was using but we still have $5M of equipment stuck with UNIX (too</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        costly to rewrite 1000's of test programs just to eliminate TDE). Our leadership</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        even stopped looking at Agilent for big test items like the 3070 and AOI because</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        of that. It is very likely management here will dictate us to drop VEE altogether.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">8) Provide tools to integrate test automation with VEE in manufacturing. Like Machine</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">        Vision.</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">

Rob Marquardt</font>
<font size=2 face="sans-serif">One For VEE - VEE For All !!!!</font>---You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.comTo subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".  

Outcomes