AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf RS232 Instuments config

Question asked by VRFuser on Mar 29, 2004
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2004 by VRFuser
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello Derrick,</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I used FTDI's FT232BM. It's an IC for USB to RS232 bridge. The VCP driver that it's using makes windows think that the USB (which was registered as COM port, is actually a Serial COM port, not much need on driver or kernel interfacing.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Just use the hardware, install the device driver, and presto!!! you have another HANDY RS232.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anyways, start migrating to USB or firewire, sooner or later, RS232, parallel port and some other LEGACY ports will be gone.</FONT></DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Regards,</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>Mike Intal</DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV> </DIV></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>  <DIV   style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>   <A title=ashley@smartsolutions.karoo.co.uk   href="mailto:ashley@smartsolutions.karoo.co.uk">Ashley Derrick</A> </DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=vrf@agilent.com   href="mailto:vrf@agilent.com">VRF</A> </DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, March 29, 2004 2:51 PM</DIV>  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] RS232 Instuments   config</DIV>  <DIV><BR></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am using Win2k and Vee 5.01.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>My customer has system which I built for him   which uses three serial Comm ports and a run time .vxe program. Comm1 and   Comm2 are the 'standard' PC ports (i.e. that were standard until motherboard   makers started omitting Com2). Com3 is a 'Prolific' USB-to-serial   converter which works OK.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>My problem is that I need to make modifications   to the customers run time version of his application on my PC, which has only   2 com ports. Com1 is on the motherboard and Com2 is a USB to serial   converter. How can I load the original .vee file and fool the system into   thinking Com3 is present, so that I can modify his code and provide him with   the 'Runtime' .vxe file, without changing any of the Comm settings within   his runtime program. Obviously I will not be able to run the program but I   need to edit it. I have a copy of the vee.io file on his   system.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have ordered another USB to serial converter to   enable me to run the program but it will be  a few days until I have   this.</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Incidentally for UK' ers, Ebuyer.co.uk have these   at around 5 pounds!</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Any ideas please?</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>King regards,</FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ashley Derrick</FONT></DIV>---<BR>You are   currently subscribed to vrf as: mike@hugletech.com<BR>To subscribe send a   blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a   blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to   this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the   mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes