AnsweredAssumed Answered

The new firmware 2.10

Question asked by Coris on Mar 10, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 by Coris
First I have to notice about an nice looking forum. 

Second, I intend in this thread to open a discussion about the last firmware we`ve got for our devices. I refer here to 20xx series devices.
I personally noticed a kind of improvement in how the display or the graphic stage of the scope behave after installed the 2.10 firmware. To be honest, I do not know for instance what and how  it were done in the new software, but it looks like a better quality in showing the signal on the screen, increasing in fidelity and speed/responsiveness of what is now showed up on the scope display.
In another thread here somebody else noticed the improvement as an lowering in the noise over signal after installed the new firmware. In my opinion is not this the case, while on my device I still have the same (quite low) figures/measurements as before installing the new firmware, concerning the noise levels.
I`m not quite sure if Agilent will want to explain what in fact the improvement is, or how were done inside their software. That because I think will be interesting to have here more opinions, discussing and trying to find out more about this subject, .
On my device I`ve noticed a side effect of the new firmware when is about the graphic stage of the scope. This effect it was not before. 
As one can see on the picture here, is is happen a kind of interference between the graphic stage frequencies and (maybe) the samplings frequency of the analysed signal, on some time base "levels". In this picture here is about an software magnified/amplified residual noise (shorted/closed probe), 1mV scale and 50ns time base. It is to be seen quite clear that the continuous very large spectre noise signal is reproduced on the screen as a very discontinued signal. There is not particularly magnified this picture, but it is to be seen very well in real on the screen with the naked eyes ... When the time base is changed to 100ns, this effect is attenuated, and if the time base frequency is further changed in values up and down this (graphic) effect disappear. Or is not possible to be seen, but can be there. I`m quite convinced that this is only about the graphic stage of the device, and do not affect the treatment of the signal (digital point of view) to be showed on the screen.
I just came now on the idea that maybe it was modified in some sort the refresh frequency for the display it self or it were be modified the switching frequency of the power converter for the display...
I can say that this is not disturbing me much, but I personally intend only to find out more about...
So, welcome for comments... About this subject or something else about the new firmware (+/-)  

Attachments

Outcomes