AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf VEE 7.0 - something you need to know

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 8, 2004
Hi vrf-ers,

You should know that VEE 7.0 requires IO Libraries M.01.01.04 or later. If you have an earlier revision or no IO Libraries installed, the VEE 7.0 Instrument Manager's Find Instruments will be grayed out.

The thing to do if you see this is to reinstall the IO Libs M.01.01.04 that came with VEE 6.2 or VEE 7.0.

This is not bit-rot or other Windows voodoo as far as we know, where something spontaneously gets corrupted. It occurs because some software you installed after you put 7.0 on your system installs an older revision of IO Libraries.

I found this earlier in the week when I was preparing a vrf posting about the 12 .reg files that change .vee and .vxe file associations for you.

I already had 7.0 and 6.2 on the system, but not 6.01. So I installed 6.01, using the defaults settings of the installer. That also installed IO Libraries L.02.01, replacing M.01.01.04. While I was working with 6.01 and 6.2 I saw no problem, but when I had to help someone with a 7.0 IO question, I saw that my Find Instruments button was grayed out, not clickable.

Reinstalling M.01.01.04 fixed it.

So why does VEE 7.0 care about the IO Libraries revision when 6.2 was happy with either M.01.01.04 or L.02.01? It's because the new 7.0 support for directly connecting USB-based instruments requires M.01.01.04 or later. If VEE 7.0 sees an earlier revision, it grays out the Find Instruments button.

We're planning to change this so that the Find Instruments button is always available, but gives you a warning or error if the IO Libraries revision is not suitable. Meanwhile, we're stuck with a grayed-out button in 7.0 if you have the wrong version.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Note that if you're using only NI IO (no Agilent IO Libraries) then it must be version 3.0 or later; if it's earlier than 3.0, the Find Instruments button will be grayed out.

For 7.0, you can have either Agilent IO Libraries, or NI IO, or both (Agilent VISA as secondary), as long as they're the required revisions or newer.

Best Regards,

Scott Bayes
Software Technical Support

Agilent Technologies, Inc.
815 14th Street S.W.
Loveland, CO, U.S.A. 80537

970 679 3799 Tel
970 635 6867 Fax

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

Outcomes