AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf 7.0 Reminder! "SaveAs - from 7.0 to 6.x versio

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 13, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45"><TITLE>RE: [vrf] Re:  RE: 7.0 Reminder! "SaveAs - from 7.0 to 6.x version of VEE"</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>I have 2 suggestions.  It is not recommended, but sometimes it works...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>(1) First, keep a backup of your VEE program.  Then open your VEE program with a plain text editor and change the first line to show the same version as version 6.x (VEE 5 has a saveformat of version 2.3).  Finally, try to open your modified program with your older version.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>(2) Open your VEE program with your soon to expire trial version 7.  Open a new program with VEE 6.  Select all of the objects in the Main from VEE 7, copy them to the clipboard and paste them to the Main in VEE 6.  Do the same with each functions.  Save your reconstructed program with VEE 6.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>(3) there is still the option to purchase VEE7...</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Enrique.Velasco@delta-es.com [<A HREF="mailto:Enrique.Velasco@delta-es.com">mailto:Enrique.Velasco@delta-es.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 13 avril 2004 12:59</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>In reference to all the email thread "RE: 7.0 Reminder!" (as attached</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>below);  the suggestions were all viable if you are trying to organize all</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the previous programs you've done prior to VEE 7.0,  while the good thing</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>about VEE 7.0 is that it can open all the previous versions of VEE (as most</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>program updates/upgrades do) but not the other way around. the drawback of</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>this is that once you open/debug a previous version of VEE using VEE 7.0</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>and accidentally saved it, i guess you have to update all your</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>runtime/developer application of VEE on all locations.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Since, most of as are still trying to critically evaluate the full release</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>of VEE 7.0 which i can honestly say it expanded it's capability by</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>incorporating .NET (another aspect for me to learn considering that i don't</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>have any programming experience at all).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>We probably all have the trial version taken off the web before they ship</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>our CD copy of the full release. In my case, I have VEE 7.0 (trial version</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>which would expire soon) installed in my desk and i have done a couple of</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>programs (to be added later to my lab computer) from it already  my mistake</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>was i already save them as VEE 7.0 and i can't somehow extract the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>program/s i did from my desk onto my lab computer which is running VEE 6.2.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>i at this point don't  want to install VEE 7.0 on my lab computer and the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>debug the programs from there, simply because of having to redo the whole</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>program (in VEE 6.2) itself if the trial version expires before the my CD</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>copy of  VEE 7.0 comes.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>My suggestion is that if VEE in the future can incorporate a feature such</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>as  "SAVE AS" to a previous version (if that's possible) would be very</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>helpful for those who are limited from the previous versions of VEE.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>I guess as what Mr. Mike Groves says, and i quote,  "Anyone see any other</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>reason why this would not be a desirable thing to do for those with</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>multiple versions installed?"</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2> -----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> From: Mike Groves [<A HREF="mailto:mikegroves@pacbell.net">mailto:mikegroves@pacbell.net</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 2:46 PM</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Detlef, that's a very good suggestion. I've seen other programs use</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> numbers in their file extensions to keep track of different versions,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> why not VEE?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Using something like .VEE5, .VEE6, .VEE7 (or simply .V5, .V6, .V7) would</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> allow all VEE versions to co-exist without competing with each other. You</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> just need to tell Windows Explorer one time which EXE file to use for which</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> extension and you're set.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Of course, you would have to switch to *.* view to browse for files, as</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> they would not show up with the *.VEE mask.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Another thing you would have to remember is when you use SAVE AS, that you</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> put the filename in quotes, like "MyFile.VEE7", then it will save it</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> exactly as you typed it. If you leave off the quotes, then VEE will tack a</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> ".VEE" to the end, saving it as MyFile.VEE7.VEE. Pretty simple thing to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> remember.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Importing libraries with a .VEE6, or .VEE5 extension works as expected.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> Anyone see any other reason why this would not be a desirable thing to do</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> for those with multiple versions installed?</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2> -----Original Message-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> From: Baranski, Detlef [<A HREF="mailto:Detlef.Baranski@PILKINGTON.de">mailto:Detlef.Baranski@PILKINGTON.de</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:04 AM</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Maybe the best way would be to name the .vee files for Version 7 to .vee7</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> if you use many parallel installations. In general there is no more need</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> to limit the suffix to 3 letters...</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Until now i rename my old vee-file to an "V7-" prefix to see the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> difference if saved under V7.</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2> -----Ursprngliche Nachricht-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> Von: BAYES,SCOTT (A-Loveland,ex1) [<A HREF="mailto:scott_bayes@agilent.com">mailto:scott_bayes@agilent.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> Gesendet: 23 March 2004 01:47</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Hi Mark, Bill, vrf,</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> Yes, you'll probably want to keep 6.x around until you are satisfied that</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> you (and your end-users) are completely moved over to 7.0.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> I still have 5.01 through 7.0 installed on MY computer because many users</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> have not upgraded. Bummer.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> :-)</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> So side-by-side installs are a good idea till you've cut ties with earlier</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> revisions. Just beware that only one revision can "own" the .vee suffix at</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> any one time (same is true for .vxe).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> BTW, 7.0 fixes a bunch of elderly bugs (sorry, "defects"), too. After you</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> download and install 7.0 eval, open Help > Contents and Index, and select</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2> "What's Been Fixed in This Version".</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2> (Thanks for the humour, Mark)</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes