AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf The future of vee marketing? Another two cents (mor

Question asked by mark.goldberg on Mar 30, 2004
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2004 by mark.goldberg
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=GENERATOR></HEAD><BODY><DIV><SPAN class=512524418-31032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Oops Sorry Rob, that was a typo!</FONT></SPAN></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Goldberg, Mark   <BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, March 31, 2004 10:37 AM<BR><B>To:</B>   VRF<BR><B>Cc:</B> ramarquardt@tds.net;   marquardt@characterlink.net<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] RE: The future of vee   marketing? Another two cents (more or less) worth<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff   size=2><SPAN class=137280918-31032004> Hell VRFer's</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=137280918-31032004>Rod,   That was great, I got a chuckle from #2. It reminded me of a drug dealer   giving the free sample to get the user hooked then charging for   everything after that. I love the idea of Vee becoming main stream for things   other than just T & M. It could happen but for two problems I have been   complaining about for years. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=137280918-31032004>1.   VEE does not have the ability to generate an EXE or other file that runs on   system OS's. The installation of the runtime and IO Libs make it difficult for   an easy sell. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=137280918-31032004>2.   The "Look and Feel" of being a real windows program keep it from being a main   stream program. An example would be one of my favorite complaints, the menus   and toolbars. The .Net support may lend itself to solving this, But alas I am   not skilled in the ways of .net and know not how this is to be done. More   examples, and some of this type of use of the .net feature would also   greatly help sell VEE to the world currently occupied by   NI.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004>Would it really be that hard to create a compiler for   VEE to allow EXE's?? Dunno, but I for one would love to see   it.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004>Another marketing suggestion may be found right here   on the VRF. I for one would love to tout VEE to schools and colleges and would   work for "VEE" or to be more specific a full licensed copy for me at home. I   would donate a couple visits to a few local schools and colleges per   month,  if Agilent would help set this up and donate the copies for said   institutions. </SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004>What the heck, I get every other Friday off. To spend   2 or three hours every week or two to introduce VEE and VRF to the world   might just be fun. Scott And Nicole I as well appreciate and applaud all your   efforts and wonder if any of the above would be possible.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=137280918-31032004>As   for the support issue, maybe I am missing something but I get great support   form Agilent and the VRF. I had a problem just the other day with a vee.io   file not working or being saved with the program. When I called for support   the T&M Call center put me right through to an engineer who post here and   he was suspicious that it might be more than a little problem so he connected   me to "someone at the factory" , whose name I will also not mention so as not   to embarrass Scott, who took care of my questions. So am I missing something   on that??</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004>Mark</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN   class=137280918-31032004></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original   Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> ramarquardt@ra.rockwell.com   [mailto:ramarquardt@ra.rockwell.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, March 31, 2004   9:49 AM<BR><B>To:</B> VRF<BR><B>Cc:</B> ramarquardt@tds.net;   marquardt@characterlink.net<BR><B>Subject:</B> [vrf] The future of vee   marketing? Another two cents (more or less) worth<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>  <BLOCKQUOTE><BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>Hello All,</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>VEE is GREAT !     So is the Mac OS.</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>The discussions so far - point heavily to     VEE marketing to make or break VEE.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>Apple could NOT figure out a way to out market MicroSoft, hence the     stagnation of</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>an excellent OS      for personal computers. Windows is an awfull OS both for the     user</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>and the programmer. In spite of     that we all use Windows, why? Marketing of course.</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>The biggest marketing detriment is the loss of the HP     name. Once HP T&M became</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>Agilent     - their name became known only to those in the world of T&M and then     only</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>those already familiar with HP     T&M [a pretty large percentage no doubt].</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>Every one in the world [even in many third world     countries] knows HP.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>They should     have retained the HP name and called it "HP Test and Measurement</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>Corporation" or something like that.</FONT>     <BR><BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>Some suggestions:</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>1) Work some deal with HP to get the name back. This     would be worth "All The Tea In China" - so to speak.</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>2) For the short term, treat VEE as a marketing tool     to leverage sales.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            As long as Agilent treats it as a source of income it will     languish. Once it comes</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            into common use, income could be generated by selling     upgrades, features</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            and add ons.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>3) Get     VEE onto to every household, grade school, high school and college PC</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        Make a non     T&M version and give it away free. Include some MATLAB capability</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        for high school     and college users (maybe a small FEE?).</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        Get computer manufacters to bundle it     with their PC's [HP/Compaq shouldn't be too difficult?]</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>4) Sell the T&M component(s) or version     separately.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            Income can be generated here but I suggest lowering the cost, give     more away free.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            Sell or give away more value adds - tools & components to Test     Engineers even more</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            productive. VEE is an extremely high productivity tool, better     than anything out there [that</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            I know of], show the world! I would LOVE to have a copy     for home use, but I won't pay</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            $100's for it when I can get lots of free stuff my kids     can learn on.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>5) Advertise. Show how     easily kids can learn computer programming and be able to use it</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        to automate     repetitive tasks [school - home - etc]; to make games, to make     internet</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            games [like the battle ship sample]. They could make their own tutoring     applications</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            to execute multiplication drills, etc. Agilent needs a vision to win     in the market place.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>6) For T&M     make sure there are a very intelligent set of instrument drivers for both     Agilent and</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            all competitors equipment. Especially for outdated instruments that     many of us are still</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            stuck with. The goal should be to make your customers     productive - don't make them</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            write instrument drivers [provide a good tool to teach     them how in case they want to];</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        help them succeed by getting their Test     Equipment into production faster. Why should</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>        we have 1000's of folks     all developing their own versions of instrument drivers. Develop</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        a standard than     will be backwards compatible with old style drivers or driver     interfaces.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>7) NEVER drop support of     old products. We were burned when TDE support was dropped by</FONT>     <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        HP/Agilent.     They lost a lot of trust as a business because we had $5M of     equipment</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            running TDE with no migration path. All that was needed was for     Agilent to provide</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            a VEE TDE Library to allow transition of our test software     from UNIX based systems</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            to PC's. I reverse engineered my own TDE library which     covered the small portion</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>            my department was using but we still have $5M of     equipment stuck with UNIX (too</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        costly to rewrite 1000's of test programs     just to eliminate TDE). Our leadership</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        even stopped looking at Agilent for big     test items like the 3070 and AOI because</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        of that. It is very likely management     here will dictate us to drop VEE altogether.</FONT> <BR><FONT     face=sans-serif size=2>8) Provide tools to integrate test automation with     VEE in manufacturing. Like Machine</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2>        Vision.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif     size=2><BR><BR>Rob Marquardt</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>One For     VEE - VEE For All !!!!</FONT> --- You are currently subscribed to vrf as:     Mark.Goldberg@ATK.COM To subscribe send a blank email to     "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". To unsubscribe send a blank email to     "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". To send messages to this mailing list,     email "vrf@agilent.com". If you need help with the mailing list send a     message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are   currently subscribed to vrf as: Mark.Goldberg@ATK.COM<BR>To subscribe send a   blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a   blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to   this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com". <BR>If you need help with the   mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </BLOCKQUOTE>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes