AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Instrument manager configuration ?

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 2, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII"><TITLE>Message</TITLE><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004>Thanks Rob,</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004>After looking at this again I found that some how the name serialW had been placed in the GPIB0 branch of the instrument manager instead of the Serial branch. I deleted the GPIB0 node and added a serialW node to the Serial branch. The problem went away. I have a lot of instruments on GPIB so it was not obvious to see the problem. Just to clarify, there was only one instance of the VEE program loaded. The program used SerialW as the IO name and was I trying to add the same name to get communications to work right since the serial instrument was not configured in the instrument manager.</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004><DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>Jeff Christensen <BR>IP Core Gateways <BR>Motorola, Broadband Communications Sector <BR>jeff.christensen@motorola.com <BR></FONT><A href="http://www.motorola.com/broadband"><FONT face=Arial size=2>www.motorola.com/broadband</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT></DIV></SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=116173016-02042004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV></DIV>  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT   face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>   ramarquardt@ra.rockwell.com [mailto:ramarquardt@ra.rockwell.com]   <BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, April 02, 2004 8:13 AM<BR><B>To:</B> Christensen   Jeff<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [vrf] Instrument manager configuration   ?<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>It sounds like you are   running two instances of VEE?</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>They   cannot each control the same device - whichever instance of VEE</FONT>   <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>first accesses the device gets it !!! The   other must wait until the first</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif   size=2>instance of VEE is terminated.</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT face=sans-serif   size=2>If it is a matter of the same device name but two different hardware   ports,</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>you can use the feature that   lets you keep the I/O configuration within the VEE</FONT> <BR><FONT   face=sans-serif size=2>file. We usually make our serial drivers configurable   so we can pass the name</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>to use from   the instrument manager via a configuration function. This eliminates</FONT>   <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=2>the problem you are seeing which was a   problem for us seven years back already.</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif   size=2><BR><BR>Best Regards</FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif   size=2>.....Rob<BR><BR>Rob Marquardt<BR>Rockwell Automation /   Allen-Bradley<BR>1201 So. 2nd St. / T131<BR>Milwaukee, WI.   53204-2496<BR>USA<BR><BR>ramarquardt@ra.rockwell.com<BR>414-382-3098<BR>414-382-4820   (FAX)<BR><BR><BR></FONT><BR><BR><BR>  <TABLE width="100%">    <TBODY>    <TR vAlign=top>      <TD>      <TD><FONT face=sans-serif size=1><B>Christensen Jeff-MGI8049         |jeff.christensen@motorola.com></B></FONT>         <P><FONT face=sans-serif size=1>04/01/2004 05:31 PM</FONT> <BR><FONT         face=sans-serif size=1>Please respond to Christensen Jeff-MGI8049</FONT>         <BR></P>      <TD><FONT face=Arial size=1>        </FONT><BR><FONT         face=sans-serif size=1>        To:                VRF |vrf@agilent.com></FONT> <BR><FONT         face=sans-serif size=1>        cc:                </FONT> <BR><FONT face=sans-serif size=1>                Subject:        [vrf] Instrument         manager configuration ?</FONT></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR><BR><BR><FONT   face=Arial size=2>I have an existing program that uses serialW in the   instrument manager but another program uses the same name (serailW) When I   load the second program the instrument manager reports error that name is   already in use. </FONT><BR><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> </FONT>   <BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>How do I correct this? Is there also a site that   mirrors the archives of all the previous posts to this reflector?</FONT>   <BR><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> </FONT> <BR><FONT face=Arial   size=2>Jeff Christensen <BR>IP Core Gateways <BR>Motorola, Broadband   Communications Sector <BR>jeff.christensen@motorola.com </FONT><FONT   face="Times New Roman" color=blue size=3><U><BR></U></FONT><A   href="http://www.motorola.com/broadband"><FONT face=Arial color=blue   size=2><U>www.motorola.com/broadband</U></FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>   </FONT><BR><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> </FONT> <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes