AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Acces of LPT1 in XP

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 8, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45"><TITLE>Re: [vrf] Re: Acces of LPT1 in XP</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><P><FONT SIZE=2>Thanks for your help.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>---- First section - shared printer and "net use printer" ----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>This still doesn't work the way I explained it previously.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>The command "net use lpt1: \computershared_printer" returns error 5 (access denied) if the user does not have administrator rights.  On another hand, printing from VEE by sending data to file "\computershared_printer" instead of sending data to file "LPT1" works fine (even without administrator rights).  The problem doesn't seem to be the access to the shared printer, but rather the redirection of LPT1 thru the command "net use".  For the moment, I have implemented the method that works.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>---- Second section - access to USB device ----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>The attached program RWilson3.vee doesn't work on my PC (with VEE 5).</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I think it is because of the variable types {*pInt16 *pInt32 *pReal32 *pReal64} used in text constant psParams from function LoadMemLibs.  I guess this program would give me the device name of my USB001 port, then I would be able to do a "net use lpt1" (if the access problem is resolved).  Knowing the device name, can I print to this local device USB001 (like when sending data to file "lpt1" from VEE).</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Message d'origine-----</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>De: Shawn Fessenden [<A HREF="mailto:shawn@testech-ltd.com">mailto:shawn@testech-ltd.com</A>]</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date: 1 avril 2004 14:16</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Bruno, apologies for the belated reply.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> but the "net use printer" command does not work with</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> a user not in the administrators group.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>This should be a snap, but I know it gets sticky. I have a whole host of</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>little notes like this in a file called compulog - problems and their</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>solutions. Many of these access issues remain unresolved and I'm at a loss</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to explain why.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>The long and short is you shouldn't have to grant special access to anybody</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to use a shared printer. Unless, that is, the network's security is not</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>out-of-the-box. See if the following suggestions help (Windows 2000, no</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Domain Controller):</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  1. On the machine that hosts the printer, add accounts for all</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     who will use the printer. Make their account names and</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     passwords exactly the same as on the machines that they</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     will use the printer from.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  2. On the machine that hosts the printer, right click the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     printer in the printers folder and select Properties.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     Go to the Security tab (WinKey, s, right, p, right to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     select printer, Shift+F10, r, Ctrl-Tab four times).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  3. By default, in the Name list at top there is an entry for</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     Everyone and CREATOR OWNER. Click the "Add..." button,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     select "Authenticated Users" and click the "Add" button</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     and Click "OK". (Alt+d, Shift+Tab, down, Alt+A, Enter).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>  4. In the list of Permissions, "Print" is checked by default.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     If you want to allow authenticated users to manage printers</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>     and manage documents check those permissions. Click "OK".</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>After having done all this, the only reason anybody would be denied access</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to the shared printer is if they don't have an account on the hosting</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>computer, or if their credentials differ on the hosting computer (if the</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>account name is the same, a password box will pop up when they attempt to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>print).</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>In spite of that, I've seen problems with XP where it can't authenticate</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>against a Windows 2000 computer. I have no idea why this is, but it seems to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>be that the XP password cache gets corrupted. This was a problem way back in</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Windows 95 also.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> First, is there something I have to enable or</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> change to allow a non administrator user to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> "net use" a shared printer</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Shouldn't be. Locater issues are handled automatically (out-of-the-box).</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Even if the locator is malfunctioning you can use the host computer's IP</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>address: net use lpt1 \192.168.0.xPrinter . There are plenty of issues</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>that can mess things up, but an all default net shouldn't be a problem.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> Second, is there an alternate way to have the USB</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> port (called USB001 in the printer port settings)</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> to respond to the port LPT1?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>If the name USB001 appears in the DosDevices list (see much earlier post</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>about DosDevices: 1/11/2004, Subj: [vrf] RE: What's all this pBuf stuff?</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Attached program RWilson3.vee) then you should be able to redirect it to any</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>other device, i.e. net use prn (or lpt1) USB001. That's kind of dependent on</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the driver manufacturer anticipating redirection of that sort though - it</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>might not work. Particularly, bidirectional communication can be a problem.</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>I have an old ink jet on another computer. Bidir didn't use to work. After I</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>put stuff back together (after being in storage for over a year) somehow it</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>magically does now. I guess it aged well?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>> Third, is there another way that I did not think of (except,</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>> obviously, putting back the printer on the parallel port)?</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2>Oh god! Yes, I have an idea but it's pretty wacky. It would be way easier to</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>put more parallel ports in your printer host!</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>-SHAWN-</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2>---</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: BrunoBeliveau@solectron.com</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  </FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes