AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Use of Shift register in my decision structure

Question asked by VRFuser on Apr 29, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><html><head><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)"><style><!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face     {font-family:Tahoma;     panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal     {margin:0in;     margin-bottom:.0001pt;     font-size:12.0pt;     font-family:"Times New Roman";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink     {color:blue;     text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed     {color:purple;     text-decoration:underline;}span.emailstyle17     {font-family:Arial;     color:windowtext;}span.EmailStyle18     {font-family:Arial;     color:navy;}@page Section1     {size:8.5in 11.0in;     margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}div.Section1     {page:Section1;}--></style></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple><div class=Section1><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>            </span></font><font  size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;  color:navy'>Warren</span></font><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>,</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>            Ihad used Shift register before and found out this limitation.  You need toknow ahead of how my previous state or loop ahead of time.</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>            Itthere a dynamic way of using shift register without define the number of loopin advance.</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>            Thanks,</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>            Han</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Tahoma><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original Message-----
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> Pickles, Warren
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> Thursday, April 29, 20041:38 AM
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> VRF
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> [vrf] RE: Use of Shiftregister in my decision structure</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><div><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Steve,</span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>I would say you are onthe right track using a shift register.  I'm not sure what you mean by theoutputs are not synchronised.  As far as I can tell they are.  Byinspectioin it seems that the "Current" data output fires, then the"1 Prev" data output, then the sequence output (bottom pin). The sequence output will definitely not fire until both data outputs have fired- maybe you can use that to control the execution flow in your program, toachieve the desired result.  Have you got an example program thatillustrates your problem?</span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Warren</span></font></p></div><blockquote style='margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:12.0pt;margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Tahoma><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----OriginalMessage-----
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> Steven Marker[mailto:smarker@ssl.berkeley.edu]
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> 28 April 2004 17:49
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> VRF
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> [vrf] Use of Shiftregister in my decision structure</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Folks,</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I'm NOT a programmer andfairly new to VEE. Using 5.1 to implement a control structure...using thetoggle switches to enable or disable certain machinery through a AC switch.Problem is, the way I currently have things structured the program hangs up onthe RS232 Direct I/O commands that are sent to the AC switch.</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I would like to implement a decisionstructure in front of the Direct I/O RS232 strings that would detect if therehad been any change in the state of the toggle switch since the last pass.Tried using the Shift Register with " current" and"previous" outputs fed into a Conditional " A=B", butthe outputs of the Shift register are nowhere near being synchronized and causethis whole structure to blow up.</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Anyone out there have a whizzy ideahow I could get around this anomaly and fix my problem?</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Thanks in advance to all replies,</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'> </span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Steve Marker</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Development Technician</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=2 face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>UC Berkeley SSL</span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'>---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: Warren.Pickles@tycoelectronics.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to"leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </span></font></p></blockquote><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-left:.5in'><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><spanstyle='font-size:12.0pt'>---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: tranh@tycoelectronics.com
To subscribe send a blank email to"join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to"leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". </span></font></p></div>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></html>  

Outcomes