vrf TEK/NI 2004 Automated Test Summit

Question asked by VRFuser on May 16, 2004
Hi Rufus, Shawn, and the vrf,

> Take a look at the Agilent ToolKit for ".NET", something
> about a wrapper...
>
> Shawn, if you say it cannot be done, I shall throw away my
> Visual Studio.

VEE itself is an ActiveX Automation Server (i.e. a specific flavour of COM), which means that as long as you're willing to have the VEE Development system or VEE Runtime available, you can invoke your VEE UserFunctions via ActiveX from virtually any ActiveX client such as VB6, etc. In that sense, it's already "a COM object". .NET is not necessary in this case. See the last paragraph for more.

The T&M Toolkit wrappers that Rufus mentions remove one layer of development work you would have to do in order to get this to happen. In exchange, you require the Visual Studio .NET development environment, T&M Toolkit, and a .NET Framework needs to be installed (free run-time support) on the target computer.

Without the wrappers, the programmer dealing with the VEE ActiveX server has to do some "manual" setup that isn't directly related to the desired operation of calling the UFs. Also, the model for calling the UFs is a bit abstract without wrappers. It's all "programmer overhead" as far as you're concerned.

What the VEE Wrapper Wizard in T&M Toolkit does is to give you access to the UFs in a .vee without having to go through the extra programmer overhead and abstraction of the above approach. Note that the overhead is still there, it's just that the Wrapper Wizard takes care of it for you by providing an easy-to-use layer (object wrapper) customized for that particular set of UFs.

Of course to use the Wrappers generated by the Wizard, you need to have installed the .NET framework, whether for 6.1/6.2 where it's a separate download, or for 7.0 where it's installed with 7.0 development and runtime packages. The minimum VEE for using the Wrappers is 6.03 (free upgrade from 6.01, upgrade patch comes with Toolkit). 6.01 and earlier won't work.

To use the Wrapper Wizard, you'll need to purchase and use T&M Toolkit and Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET to create the wrappers in the first place.

There's a bundled version of VEE 7.0 (W1140A-DEV) that includes the T&M Toolkit for about USD100 more than a new VEE 7.0 seat alone, a pretty good deal if you use both VEE and Visual Studio .NET and need a new copy of VEE (W1140A-DEV is not available with a VEE upgrade purchase). Microsoft has Visual Studio "Standard Editions" for VB or C# (maybe C++ as well) that cost just over USD100, much cheaper than the full-blown VS .NET, if you only need one language.

I see that Ken Colasuonno mentioned an alternative where you could expose the .NET VEE wrapper as a COM object and access that directly from VB6 and other non-.NET environments, not needing VS .NET, but you'd still need the .NET framework. It's a very twisted idea that only Ken could have come up with But it should work fine.

If you decide to call VEE's ActiveX Automation Server directly from VB6, or Excel, VBScript, etc (not using Ken's trick, but instead the way I describe at the top of this posting), then look in the VEE 6.x or 7.0 examplesCallableVEE folder for examples in thoise languages. Avoid the RPC_API folder you see there unless you REALLY REALLY need to do it that way and enjoy pain.

Best Regards,

Scott Bayes
Software Technical Support

Agilent Technologies, Inc.
815 14th Street S.W.
Loveland, CO, U.S.A. 80537

970 679 3799 Tel
970 635 6867 Fax

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rufus Warren [mailto:rwarren@amti.net]
> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 5:29 AM
> To: PDL-LISTS,VRF (A-Lists,unix1)
> Subject: [vrf] RE: TEK/NI 2004 Automated Test Summit
>
>
> Take a look at the Agilent ToolKit for ".NET", something
> about a wrapper...
>
> Shawn, if you say it cannot be done, I shall throw away my
> Visual Studio.
>
>
> Rufus
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shawn Fessenden [mailto:shawn@testech-ltd.com]
> Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 5:13 PM
> To: VRF
> Subject: [vrf] RE: TEK/NI 2004 Automated Test Summit
>
> > create a MS object from a VEE file
>
> Create a COM object with VEE? Phew! It might be possible, but
> man, I don't
> know that it would be worth the extraordinary hurt.
> -SHAWN-
>
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rwarren@amti.net To
> subscribe send a
> blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
> If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
> "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
>
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to vrf as: scott_bayes@agilent.com
> To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
> To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
> If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
> "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
>

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com
To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com". 
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".

Outcomes