AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Releasing a DLL's reference

Question asked by VRFuser on Jun 9, 2004
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii"><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.0.6487.1"><TITLE>Releasing a DLL's reference</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><!-- Converted from text/rtf format --><P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">All,</FONT><BR>        <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with a DLL problem I've been having.  I'm converting a process that used to make a call to a Visual Basic .exe to perform a loading task in our program to an ActiveX DLL to improve the speed, because all of the functions contained in the .exe don't need to be run every single time.  Anyway…I can load the DLL just fine in VEE and talk to it without a problem.  My problem comes in when I'm trying to replace the DLL on the system with a new one that has code fixes.  I can't delete or replace the DLL because Windows says that some process is using it.</FONT></P><P>        <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I've tried deleting the object variable that use to set up the reference to the DLL, but I still get the error.  I've also removed the check box in the automation references list so that VEE shouldn't be using it.  I've also tried unregistering the DLL from the system using regsvr32.  The only way that I've been able to get it to work is to close down the VEE program.  As soon as I do that, the reference appears to be released because I can simply delete the old file and drop in a new one.  Start up the VEE program and go on.  The frustrating part of this is that I have to re-enter a lot of information every time I start up the program just because I wanted to make a couple of simple changes to the DLL.</FONT></P><P>        <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Any idea of how to release the reference without closing down the program completely?  Any help would be appreciated.</FONT></P><P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Thanks,<BR>Marc</FONT></P><BR><P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Courier New">Marc A. Engle</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Courier New">Sr. Product Engineer</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Courier New">Digital Cellular Product Line</FONT><BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Courier New">RF Micro Devices, Inc. </FONT></P>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes