AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Problem with PNA SCPI Command

Question asked by mford on Dec 14, 2004
<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:st1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}</style><![endif]--><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="PostalCode"/><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="Street"/><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="address"/><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"/><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"/><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"/><!--[if !mso]><style>st1:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }</style><![endif]--><style><!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face     {font-family:Tahoma;     panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}@font-face     {font-family:"Century Gothic";     panose-1:2 11 5 2 2 2 2 2 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal     {margin:0in;     margin-bottom:.0001pt;     font-size:12.0pt;     font-family:"Times New Roman";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink     {color:blue;     text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed     {color:purple;     text-decoration:underline;}p     {mso-margin-top-alt:auto;     margin-right:0in;     mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;     margin-left:0in;     font-size:12.0pt;     font-family:"Times New Roman";}span.EmailStyle17     {mso-style-type:personal;     font-family:Arial;     color:windowtext;}span.EmailStyle20     {mso-style-type:personal-reply;     font-family:Arial;     color:navy;}@page Section1     {size:8.5in 11.0in;     margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}div.Section1     {page:Section1;}--></style></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple><div class=Section1><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I didn’t think I’d get aresponse as well. Not only did you guys respond, but I got a direct responsefrom Agilent R & D as well. I will keep you posted after I try everyone’ssuggestions,<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><div><div class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><font size=3face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'><hr size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1></span></font></div><p class=MsoNormal><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;font-weight:bold'>From:</span></font></b><font size=2face=Tahoma><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> DUNSMORE,JOEL(A-Sonoma,ex1) [mailto:joel_dunsmore@agilent.com]
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> Wednesday, December 15, 20041:10 PM
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> VRF
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> [vrf] RE: Problem withPNA SCPI Command</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Hello Michael, Lyle,</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>    </span></font><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Boy, do you guys reallythink anyone on VRF will recogonize </span></font><b><font size=2 color=blackface=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;font-weight:bold'>"CAL2:CUST:DEF 'MySC21','SMC_Forward.SMC_ForwardMeas';" </span></font></b><font size=2color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>?</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Surpiseingly, it appears so !</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>   I would guess the errormessage that you are getting is "duplicate trace name".  You cansee all the errors on the PNA by going to the error log under</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Help-Error Error Messages-View errorlog.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>I ran the command above twice. Worked the first time, failed the second....because I had already created ameasurement with that name.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>The problem that Lyle points to is acomon problem with SMC and VMC...due to software limitations, we can only allowone measurment type per channel.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>So, if you already have an S-parameter ina channel, you cannot create a VMC or SMC.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>The solution, as listed below, is to getrid of things that you don't want.  You can find out what's on the channelwith "calc2:par:cat?" and read back a string.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>It should tell you the trace name andmeasurment parameter of each trace.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Joel</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>P.S.  I'll ask to have the calc2:par:<st1:Statew:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">del</st1:place></st1:State>:all added to theexample program to help illustrate the point.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><blockquote style='margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=2 face=Tahoma><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original Message-----
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> Carnahan, Lyle[mailto:carnahal@tycoelectronics.com]
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> Wednesday, December 15, 20048:32 AM
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> [vrf] RE: Problem withPNA SCPI Command</span></font><o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face="Courier New"><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";color:blue'>Michael,</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face="Courier New"><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";color:blue'>Is there alreadya trace defined on the screen (i.e. S11,S21...)? In our software when we usethe FCA I always send the "CALC2:PAR:<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">DEL</st1:State></st1:place>:ALL" if I am already no infrequency offset mode. I don't believe you can add a new SMC measurement if anon-SMC measurement is active.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 color=blue face="Courier New"><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";color:blue'>Just a thought.That is the only additional command I send before sending "CALC2:CUST:DEF'SC21','SMC_Forward.SMC_ForwardMeas'". Although I also use just use themeasurement type for the first parameter.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div><p><font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>Lyle Carnahan</span></font>
<font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>Aerospaceand Defense Business Unit</span></font>
<font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>M/A-COM Inc.</span></font>
<st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on"><font size=2 face="Courier New"><span  style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>1011 Pawtucket Boulevard</span></font></st1:Street>
<st1:City w:st="on"><font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:  10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>Lowell</span></font></st1:City><font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>, <st1:State w:st="on">MA</st1:State>  <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">01853</st1:PostalCode></span></font></st1:address><fontsize=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>-3295</span></font><o:p></o:p></p><p><font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>Phone: (978) 442-4504</span></font>
<font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>Fax:  (978) 442-4520</span></font>
<font size=2 face="Courier New"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New"'>carnahal@tycoelectronics.com</span></font><o:p></o:p></p><blockquote style='margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=2 face=Tahoma><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original Message-----
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> MFord@Generalmicrowave.com[mailto:MFord@Generalmicrowave.com]
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> Wednesday, December 15, 20049:50 AM
<b><span style='font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> [vrf] Problem with PNASCPI Command</span></font><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Greetings VRF,<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>We just got our new Agilent PNA (E38361A), with theFrequency Offset option, and I'm having trouble coding one of the newfunctions. I hope one of you guys can help.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I'm trying to create and cal a Scalar Mixer Measurement andthe PNA won't accept the first and most important command. An error messageappears (which I cannot read) and it will not create the trace. Here is thecommand, exactly as it's shown in the manual.  <b><span style='font-weight:bold'>"CAL2:CUST:DEF 'My SC21','SMC_Forward.SMC_ForwardMeas';"<o:p></o:p></span></b></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><b><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></b></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I've been using a similar command for years to create thestandard traces (Ex. <b><span style='font-weight:bold'>"CALC2:PAR:DEF 'MyS21','S21';"</span></b>) so I thought I understood the process. At thispoint I am really at a loss.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Century Gothic"><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'> </span></font><o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal><strong><b><font size=2 face="Century Gothic"><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'>Michael Ford</span></font></b></strong><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Test Engineering</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Herley Farmingdale</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on"><font size=2  face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>425 Smith Street</span></font></st1:Street><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> <st1:City w:st="on">Farmingdale</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">NY</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">11735-1198</st1:PostalCode></span></font></st1:address><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>(phone) 631.630.2000 ext 268  (fax) 631.630.2066</span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Century Gothic"><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Century Gothic"'><a href="mailto:Michael.Ford@Herley.com"title="mailto:Michael.Ford@Herley.com"><font size=2title="mailto:Michael.Ford@Herley.com"><span style='font-size:10.0pt'>mailto:</span></font><fontsize=2 face=Arial title="mailto:Michael.Ford@Herley.com"><spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Michael.Ford@Herley.com</span></font></a></span></font><o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: carnahal@tycoelectronics.com
To subscribe send a blank email to"join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To unsubscribe send a blank email to"leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<o:p></o:p></span></font></p></blockquote><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: joel_dunsmore@agilent.com
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></blockquote><p class=MsoNormal><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt'>---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: MFord@Generalmicrowave.com
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com". <o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div>---<BR>You are currently subscribed to vrf as: rsb@soco.agilent.com<BR>To subscribe send a blank email to "join-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".<BR>To send messages to this mailing list,  email "vrf@agilent.com".  <BR>If you need help with the mailing list send a message to "owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".</BODY></html>  

Outcomes